Chapter 22

Where: London, Melanie and Louis' house

When: A week before Christmas 2015

'Louis, what's wrong?' I ask. He is crying and shutting me out.

'It's nothing'

'Clearly it isn't nothing. Somethings wrong'

He turns to face me. 'Fine. When I went to visit my mum for lunch, she told me she has Leukemia'

I hug him, and he puts his head on my shoulder. I listen to his soft sobs for a moment before asking 'how long did they say?'

He attempts to stop crying. 'About a year'.

'Louis, I know you're upset. And you have every reason to be. But right now, she is more scared than you are. We have to be there for your whole family'.

I wake up to Louis kissing me awake. I kiss him back before he pulls away. "Good morning" I smile with my eyes still closed. "What's the occasion?"

"Oh, nothing. Just surprising you with a little breakfast in bed" He places a tray over my lap.

"Louis, why are you being so sweet?"

"Because I love you" He smiles. "Any plans for today?"

"Probably just getting the gifts for my family. Are we still going the week of New Year's?"

"Yep"

"Fantastic. Do you want to go with me to get the gifts? Or should I invite one of the lads?"

"Maybe we can all go? I haven't seen the lads in a while. We can get lunch"

"Sounds perfect to me"

I finally get up and head to the bathroom. I decide to do a different style of makeup for today. It's more of the "traditional" style, but I've never done it. I take a beige shimmer eyeshadow and a chocolate brown and blend them together. I'm super happy with how it looks, so I head to the closet. I put on dark wash skinny jeans, a blue plaid shirt, a grey leather coat, and black vans.

I head downstairs to see Louis waiting on the couch. We head out the door and to the mall. When we arrive, we spend about 10 minutes trying to find Niall and Liam. Harry still hasn't arrived yet, so we do some shopping without him. I look through the stores and attempt to find something my family will like. "Just because they're my family doesn't mean I can slack off on their gifts".

"Are you still coming over on Christmas?" I ask the lads a little while later.

"Of course. We wouldn't miss it" Liam says.

"Good. I'm cooking so much food, I could feed an army"

*Christmas Eve, Louis' birthday*

"Happy Birthday Louis" His mum hugs him. "I can't believe my baby is 24 already." She turns to me. "Hi Mel, it's good to see you"

"Hi Jay, it's good to see you too." I hug her. "Please everyone, make yourselves comfortable. We have plenty of space. Let me know if you need anything"

As the family separates, Jay stays behind to talk to Louis. "Mel, can you give us a minute?" Louis asks.

"Of course, Lou. I'll go see if anyone needs help unpacking".

I head down the hallway to see who needs help. Lottie and Fizzy are carrying the twins. "Here, let me help you with them" I carry both of them to the room Jay will be in. We got two cribs set up since we knew they'd be coming. Lottie comes in soon after with their bags.