seven

Finn's POV

"Goodmorning, gorgeous," I smiled, brushing the curls out of her face. 

Her eyes remained closed as a small smile appeared across her lips. "Goodmorning, Finn." 

I interlaced her fingers with mine and kissed her forehead, making her eyes flutter open. "I wish we could stay like this forever," she mumbled, rubbing her thumb gently in my messy hair. 

"Me too." 

"My dad's gonna be up soon." 

"Then let's enjoy this while we can," I smiled, pulling her in tightly against my chest. 

She smiled once more, slowly closing her eyes. "I love you, Finn Wolfhard," she whispered, sleepiness apparent in her voice.

"I love you so much more, Millie Brown." We stayed silent for a few moments, our chests rising and falling in sync. I watched her as she slowly fell back asleep, her eyes peacefully closed and her lips slightly parted. 

"You're beautiful, Millie Brown," I whispered, dragging my thumb gently across her jawline. She slightly opened her eyes and kissed me, the corners of her mouth curled up. At that moment, we heard a door open and close, causing us to both immediately jump up. 

"He's up," Millie panicked, her eyes still directed at the door, "go, go, go!" She shouted quickly, keeping quiet enough so that her dad wouldn't hear us. I quickly threw the covers to the side and jumped up, running to the window. I picked up my bag as I opened the creaky window and swung one leg out. 

"Wait, Finn?" 

I looked over at her, swinging my head around to the other side of the window. By now, I was half way out of the house. "Yeah?" 

"You know the building we went to a few weeks ago on our date? The McCormick Place?" 

I nodded. 

"Meet me there tonight at 8." 

The side of my mouth curled up as I nodded. She looked over at the door and looked back, gesturing for me to go. "I hear him, go!" She giggled. 

"See you soon, Brown," I winked, swinging my other leg out of the window. 

"Until tonight, Wolfhard." 

----------

I checked the time on my phone. 8:12. I put my hands in my pockets and exhaled deeply. I looked around the sidewalk, catching a glance of Millie jogging in my direction. "I'm so sorry," she said as she tried to catch her breath,  "my dad he just- he needed me to do some stuff."

"Don't worry about it," I smiled, loosely wrapping my arm around her neck and kissing her head. 

"C'mon, let's go up." 

After a quick talk with Joe, very similar to the first time, we made our way to the rooftop of the building. I stared out at the familiar view of the city lights as I took a seat on the edge. She sat down immediately after me, leaning her head on my shoulder. I grabbed her hand and held it tightly in my lap. 

"Is everything okay?" I asked, looking down at the city. 

"Yeah," she said quietly, "just needed to escape for awhile." 

Escape. I repeated the word in my head. We all needed to escape, whether it was mentally or physically. We're all running from something, and we never stop. I was still running from my past, after all. I pondered this for a few moments to myself when a small voice disrupted my thoughts. 

"Finn, are you alright?" She lifted her head and looked over at me. "You got quiet." 

"Huh? Yeah, I'm fine."