thirteen

"Geez, Sophia, loosen up. It'll be fun," Maddie flipped her hair as she looked at herself in the mirror. 

"It's your brother's senior party, why are we even going?" 

"Cute boys," she looked over at me and winked, "cute senior boys."

I let out a small laugh in response. "Maddie, we're hardly even freshmen." 

"Please," she rolled her eyes, "age is just a number." 

"You're unbelievable." 

She looked at me in the mirror as I sat on her bed and flashed a smile, shrugging. 

She then turned around and looked at me face to face. "Ready?" 

---------------

Within an hour and a half, Maddie's house had already been packed. Both guys and girls were drunk out of their minds, dancing to the blaring music. Maddie clung tightly on to my arm and swayed to the people talking and the beats of the music. 

"Hey," she tugged at my arm, "he's kind of cute, isn't he?" She pointed at a curly-headed kid next to two other guys, all three of them holding a drink in their hands. 

"I guess," I shrugged. 

"I'm gonna go talk to him." 

"You do that, Madds." 

"No," she tugged at my arm once more, "come with me!" 

"I'll stay here, just tell me how it goes." 

"Sophia," she fake pouted, "come on! The other ones are pretty hot, too." 

"Madd-"

"Come on, come on, come on," she giggled, pulling my arm towards the boys. I didn't even try hesitating, knowing that no matter what she would get her way. 

Once we pushed our way through the crowd, we found ourselves standing in front of the tall boys. "Why hello boys!" Maddie smiled, shouting over the loud music. They immediately stopped their conversation and turned towards us, smiling. "Hey girls," said the one with brown hair and big, crystal blue eyes. 

"What are your girls' names?" Smiled another. He had dirty blond hair and looked me up and down with his light eyes, biting his lip. I knew he was thinking something, I just didn't know what.

"I'm Maddie," she giggled, grabbing my hand, "and this is my friend, Sophia!" 

"Well I'm Wyatt," the curly-headed kid smiled, taking a small step towards Maddie.

"I'm Jaeden," said the blue eyed one. 

"And I'm Dane," said the other, eyeing me up and down once more, mimicking Wyatt's moves and taking a step closer. 

Maddie was all over Wyatt, both of them already lost in their own conversation. Jaeden began talking to another boy who was next to him, and Dane continued to stare me down intensely, a small smirk spread across his lips. 

"Can I get you a drink?" He asked. 

"No thanks, I don't drink," I turned down the offer, immediately looking down at the ground. 

"Oh come on," Dane said, taking yet another step closer, "now what fun is that?" 

I looked up, Dane now just inches away from my face. His breath smelled like alcohol and stale cigarette smoke, which made me want nothing more than to get away from him. I hated that smell more than anything.