Chapter 9 - Three in the bed? Julia's getting suspicious...

Julia woke up pressed up against Oliver's side, an arm thrown over him, and his arm under her head. He sat there reading like he wasn't a jerk and ...

She tried to sit up, head feeling kind of light, only for Oliver to push her down gently with the book. 

"You're a jerk."

"I know." He grinned at her and kissed her before Julia could get back. "Beth's already informed me."

Beth? 

"Where is she? Levi?" Julia wanted Levi. Stupid Oliver. Didn't know anything. 

"Making dinner." Beth called. "Come get me if he does anything stupid. I have a knife!"

Julia was pushed back gently and Oliver settled down beside her again, relaxing, returning to his book. She stared at him. Why hadn't he shaved for several days? There was stubble all over his face. Julia had sort of noticed before, between being angry at him, but now she really noticed. That wasn't the usual behavior for a wolf. They liked being well groomed.

"Are you growing a beard?"

"No. I had things on my mind so ...I'll shave it tonight." Oliver reached up to touch his stubble. He'd been too stressed about Jula in hospital to care about stupid shit like that. Maybe a beard was a good idea. Julia was going to keep stressing him out. He didn't need to be psychic to know that. 

Julia watched as Levi walked past, glancing in, and there was this kind of silly smile on his face as he winked at her.

Oh yeah.

What the hell had been with that 'let's both kiss Julia' right now move? Seriously? 

"Where's mom?"

"Seeing as you didn't want to move she and Susan took Ben into the other house I rented for three months." Oliver pretended to sigh. "You've got expensive taste. This one's at least fifty more than the other house and I swear I can hear the tram all the time."

"The tram? No you can't. It's a five minute walk away." 

"Werewolf, Julia."

Oh. Yeah. Julia had forgotten about that. Just how crazy was her hearing going to get when her body went through her own changes? "I forgot about trams. Can you hear other houses?"

A nod. Oliver dropped the book and twisted onto his side so he could brush Julia's hair back, running the incredible amber strands through his fingers, while she tried to keep up her anger. If he didn't disarm it soon she'd soon wake up enough to start again.

"Want to see why I was distracted on the island?"

"I saw." She glared. Tried to use that to be angry again.

"No. Look." Oliver tugged his phone out of his back pocket and tried to get into the gallary as fast as he could. "I wasn't sure what your favorite animal was. But I was doing this."

She prepared to be angry.

Julia wasn't angry.

She stared at the photos of some kind of nursery with a couple of cots under mosquito nets, dark brown chest of drawers, some coconut trees on the pale green walls.  Was that a monkey?  Chest of shelves that were pretty empty looking. "You did this?"

"In the homestead. In the room that's locked up and the window boarded up. The glass is actually okay but I was going to take you and the babies home and surprise you." He grinned weakly. "I guess I didn't expect you to fall apart without me. You need full time servants, Julia."

"I didn't fall apart without you. I can take care of myself." Julia's face went red and she sat up. Head spun, room spun, woah. Maybe she'd slept too long.