Chapter 11 - More hospitals and more baby stress

“Georgie?”

Beth stared up from her knees at Dr. Kelly. Julia's mom and dad were at her instantly, harassing her, and Beth stood up to slide in unnoticed near Georgie's arm as her own mom took Ben. They were talking softly as she came closer, not noticing her, which was pretty normal for Beth.

“I'm sorry. I know we wanted Julia to carry them longer. There's been some damage inside her though and I've given the go ahead to take the babies out if the damage affects them. They're already reaching the point of being too distressed.”

“Some damage?”

“Distress?”

Julia's mother and father were clasping hands hard, staring at Dr. Kelly, both of them shooting questions at her. Dr. Kelly stared at each of them, then down to Beth.

“It seems it went through one of the other shooting victims and into Julia, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.” Dr. Kelly's words stabbed right into Beth. So in other words, Levi had blocked it. Sort of. “I don't know much more than that, I'm sorry, just that they're working on repairing it. It might be wise to get the father in, just in case we do need to-”

“He's one of the shot.” David said quietly. “Oliver.”

Dr. Kelly's eyes widened, just a moment, before that professional thing came back. It was enough though to make Beth freak out a little. Oh god. Levi.

“Is Levi bad? He's my brother.”

Georgie and David noticed her then. But fuck them. She deserved to know.

“Beth, I'm not sure. He's your brother? Is he the father?”

“He's her friend. Julia's friend.” Georgie explained as she wrapped an arm over Beth's shoulders. “Oliver's the father.”

“I don't know about them. I've been focusing on Julia- just that all three are in good hands. The American woman, I do know about, she's just had a flesh wound. It went through muscle and she's already being questioned by the police.” Dr. Kelly added, a bit perplexed sounding, “She seems convinced it was a drive by. The doctors think she's probably just a bit hysterical. She's already left the hospital against their advice.”

David's face seemed to harden a bit, Beth saw it, and she wondered about that. Maybe he suspected Amanda. She wasn't sure how often drive by things happened in Australia anyway. It couldn't be much if the doctor looked so puzzled by that explanation.

“I'll let you know if we have to do the emergency caesarian now. She did go into labour again. Whatever we have to do, she'll have to stay in hospital and be watched, but I suppose we all agree that it's better she stays here for another few weeks than give birth too early.”

There was nods, and Beth turned around to go back to her mom, reaching out to take Ben. Ben had been born exactly on time, sort of, and he was good. She wasn't sure how babies would be if they were born too early. Her mom stroked Beth's back slowly.

David was leaving, she watched him walk out with his phone in hand, that same dark look on his face. But Julia's mom came back to sit with them and they waited, trying to relax.

For most of the day they waited, without much news. Then they could finally go see them. Beth was petrified by the way Levi looked again, with some machine down his throat, all white again. They'd had to give him blood, they said, and that they'd need more. So her mom agreed to donate.

Julia, when Beth followed her parents, was also breathing with a machine down her throat. Beth had always assumed that when someone was sick like this they'd have that tranquil 'sleeping expression'. Julia didn't. She looked pissed off, even in sleep, like she was doing her best to wake up.