Chapter 16 Why?

After Chloe left to go to the office, me and the girls headed to our lockers and put our bags in our lockers. Then, we hanged out near the bleachers until the the warning bell went off for first session.

When recess came, I went looking for Gwen Izzy and Eliza, but for some reason I couldn't find them anywhere. Must be hanging out with their dates for prom I thought.

I decided to head to the bleachers to eat my recess, there weren't many people their, just a few girls watching the football team train. I began to eat my snack, continually glancing at the football team, How can anyone mind them interesting?

I was so caught up in eating that I didn't notice that someone was walking up to me. "Hey Sonya" said a familiar voice, I looked up from my snack. "Hey Max" I said with a smile.

He smiled as he sat next to me, he was wearing a blue t-shirt and Black shorts. "How's it going?" he asked me, "Well, other than me getting attacked by a crazy insane maniac that was sent by Chloe and everyone at school talking about it, I'm fine" I said.

He looked at me stunned for a minute, then he chuckled "I guess loads of kids asking the same question is pretty annoying."

"Yeah, but it's better than them calling me a freak" I said sort of smiling. We both were silent for a bit, then I said "Max, can I ask you something?"

He looked at me, "Yeah sure." I took a long breath. "Why did you ask me to prom?"

He looked at me blankly. "I mean, we barely talk to each other" I continued, bitting my lower lip "And it doesn't make much sense to me." Max just stared at me, then he chuckled.

"Yeah, well let's just say I have my reasons" he said smiling. "And they are?" I asked. Max took a deep breath , "Do you remember Preschool?" he asked me. My eyes widened a bit, his question caught me off guard. "Not really" I said "Why?"

"I had a feeling you wouldn't remember" he said, sort of shaking his head "We met on the first day of preschool."

At first I looked at him puzzled, he was right I defiantly didn't remember meeting him in preschool, let alone the first day of it. But then suddenly, something went off in my head. A memory.

~FLASHBACK~

10 Years ago...

It was a summery afternoon at kindergarten, I was sitting by myself on the swing set. I wore a yellow summer dress and a straw hat which was my only protection from the sun.

Izzy and Gwen weren't at school that day for some reason. Neither was Chloe, She and her family were going to the beach for the whole weekend.

As I sat on the swing, I glanced at the other kids playing. Some kids were playing tag, while others were playing in the sandpit. For reason, my eyes glanced across to the far end of the playground.

I saw a boy around my age sitting by the shade of a tree. He had messy dark brown hair. He wore a light red t-shirt and black shorts which covered his knees.

It took me a second to realize that he looked sad, he sat with his up to his chest and his arms wrapped around his legs.

He looks so lonely I thought, I felt bad for him. So with that, I got up from the swings and walked up to him.

"Umm.. excuse me" I mumbled, he looked up at me, his blue eyes seemed to light up. "Are you ok?" I continued, trying my best not to mumble. His eyes darted away from mine "I don't have anyone to play with" he said quickly.

"Well, who you want to play with?" I asked him, looking towards the other kids. The boy looked over to them as well. "Those kids" he said, pointing towards a group of kids playing tag.

"Ok, so why don't you go and ask them to play with you?" I said looking back at him with a smile. "I don't know how to ask" he said, looking back to me.

'Just say, hey can I play with you guys" I explained. He stared at me for a moment, then he got up. "Ok, I'll try" he said, smiling at me for the first time.

He walked over to the kids that were playing tag and began talking to them. By the looks of it, everything looked fine. A few minutes later, the boy was playing tag with the other kids. I never saw a boy look so happy in his life.

~END OF FLASHBACK~

"Now I remember" I said, "You were that kid who had no one to play with" I said, Max had looked at me surprised, then he smiled.

"It's surprising that you remember that day" he said. I laughed, "Well, it took me a bit to remember. After all that was 10 years ago."

"Yeah" I chuckled, "it took me a bit to remember."

"So, what does that day have to do with you asking me to prom?" I asked, now growing a bit. Max smiled at me again. "Well, recently my mum was looking at old photos, since graduation is coming up and she found an old kindergarten photo.

"When I saw you in the picture, I remembered that you were the girl that told me to play with the other kids, if it weren't for you, I would probably wouldn't hang out with anyone."

"So you asked me to prom because I helped you out of your shell?" I asked jokingly, He laughed. "You can say that, but I asked you to prom because I want too..."

"I wanna see where this goes" he continued seriously. I gave him a warm smile. Suddenly, the warning bell went off.

"We better get to class" I said getting off my seat. Together, we left the bleachers and he walked me to my locker. "I'll see you later" Max said as I was getting my stuff for my next two classes.

"See ya" I called out to him as he walked away through the crowded locker rooms. Just before he disappeared from view, he turned back to me and waved.

I waved, and for some reason I had a feeling that when prom would come, I would no longer be an outcast.

Author's Note: Thanks you guys for reading chapter 16 of Cold Hearted, please feel free to comment and vote on the chapter. Also please go check out on my other stories and thanks you guys for 200 reads! Again, thanks for reading and have a nice day 😊