ONS 28

***

K E N T

Gabriella called me the other night to tell me about what happened to her on the Palawan trip. She apologized for leaving without notice and said she had already changed her schedule to continue watching the kids. I was having second thoughts if I would just terminate our deal but when she stated she had already adjusted her schedules, I couldn't say no.

"Kent, it's time to fetch the kids. Aren't you going?" Tanong ni Hens nang makapasok sa office ko.

"No, I told Kiko and Lian to fetch them instead. May tinatapos lang ako."

Tumango siya habang hawak ang isang envelope na agad niyang ibinigay sa akin "He's really here."

Tiningnan ko muna siya bago ko buksan ang envelope. Mike was photographed with a group of men, as though they were holding a private meeting. They were talking very seriously. Hindi siya naka disguised and I can clearly see his face. The next photo was when he entered the fast food chain that Callie and Hens went to, mukhang nag aabang talaga siya na masolo ang anak. Next was when he's on the phone while in the car, and in the airport.

"He left? He flew to where?" Tanong ko nang matapos kong tingnan ang mga litrato.

"Mexico."

"Is Candice with him?"

Umiling siya bilang sagot "We don't know yet. I already sent some of our private investigators there. Do you really want to talk to them?"

Tumango ako "If they want. I don't want to force them or anything. I just want an assurance that they wouldn't bother Callie like that. It can cause the child trauma."

Tumango si Hens "You're right. Anyway, I'll go ahead, Elle and I will be attending her friend's despedida party. Call me anytime if you need something."

"Okay, ingat."

Tumunog ang cellphone ko at si Lian ang tumawag. Narinig ko agad ang tili niya sa linya kaya nailayo ko ang cellphone sa tenga ko.

["Oh my god, hindi ko alam na may bago ka na palang newly hired na yaya kuya ha."]

Napakunot ang noo ko "What? Wala pa akong hina-hire na..." Napahinto lang ako sa pag salita nang makuha ko na ang gusto niyang sabihin.

["Oh? Natameme ka jan?"] Tanong niya at tumawa ["Anyway, ano? Uuwi ka na ba? Kasi kung hindi dito na lang kami ni kuya kakain ng dinner. Nag paalam na din ako kay mommy kanina."]

"Hindi pa, may tinatapos pa ako. Please tell the kids to behave and to not tell anything about the past that might trigger Gabriella. Kayo din ni Kiko, umayos kayo."

["Yeah, yeah. Sayang, linuto pa naman niya ang paborito mong isda na luto ni nanay."]

I sigh "Lian..."

Tumawa siya ng malakas ["Oh well, bye bye."]

Nang maibaba niya ang linya ay agad akong napangiti. She didn't tell me she'd come. As much as I would like to taste her... I mean her dish, I couldn't go home as I need to finish my presentation for this weekend's big meeting.

"Fuck it!"

***

"Daddy! You're just in time!!" Callie said as she welcomed me with a hug when I entered the condo.

The boys ran towards me and kissed my cheeks "She's here dad." Rylan said, widely smiling. Tiningnan ko ang dalawa at iyon din ang reaction nila.

"I know." I said and smiled "Having fun?"