XXI

Percy

"Why is it so hot?" Loki complained for the millionth time.

I rolled my eyes,"Chill, we're almost there."

He scowled at me,"I would if I could."

"You're a god with power over ice. You can." I deadpanned.

"Doesn't mean it won't melt."

"It's 98°, Loki. It won't melt for awhile."

"It'll still melt." He argued.

"In a million years, just create some ice." I said exasperated.

The Norse god huffed and flicked his wrist. A small ball of ice formed in his hands. Loki sighed dramatically content. He made a show of cooling himself down. Ignoring him, I continued on towards the direction of the time gem.

"Moron," I muttered.

Two hours later, we were still wandering through Ghana. This was a bit longer than my usual missions, but I had to do this by foot because of the object in question. Very powerful, and should not be messed with by other powers until contained.

We've been here a day. Yesterday we traveled over half of Ghana, searching for information of the location of the time gem. Of course everyone talked about an isolated oasis hundreds of miles away from us. Luckily for me, I had patience for mortal travels as Loki puts it.

"It's so hot." Loki whined once more.

"We are almost there, Loki." I announced.

"You said that an hour ago." He reminded me.

"Two hours." I corrected.

"My ice melted."

"I can tell."

"How?" He asked me,"You're not even looking at me."

"You started talking again."

I glanced behind me. He was wrinkling his nose in dismay. I chuckled at his attitude, his lips curled into a smile. We continued walking in a comfortable silence. Side by side, an easy pace.

About ten minutes later, I spotted the oasis. It was so hot, the air shimmered, but that also might have been the power from the gem. The trees around it were grown and healthy looking, as well as the colossal amount of water.

I pointed it out to Loki who nodded. We carefully approached it, as far as I could tell, there was no living thing to protect the stone. I felt no other beings with a soul or water in their being near by, with the exception of Loki.

In the middle of the pond, underneath the water was the glowing orange gem. Waves of power flowed from it, and the other infinity gems brightened in its presence. As soon as Loki and I were at the base of the pond, the gem attacked.

A tree that was grown, shrunk as it went backwards in time. It sprung up immediately after, throwing Loki into the air. Waves of water hit me from when the pond used to be bigger.

The air became damp and the trees multiplied, separating Loki and I. The oasis went through multiple changes and I had to quickly move to avoid the growth and decrease of the environment around me.

At one point, I was sent flying, but was quickly dropped to the floor when the trees sprouted a canopy above me, blocking me from flying into open air. Loki was in the pond, trying to reach for the gem, when a powerful wave pushed him out of the oasis.

Done with being played with, I activated the Space gem. Disappearing from the place I was, I reappeared beside the time gem. Reaching out to grab it, my hands started aging. One was growing younger and shorter, the other advanced till it shook from a tremble.

My hands started turning to dust and my fingers grew shorter. I started to panic on the inside, right before my finger stubs disappeared, my hands closed around the gem. Suddenly everything stopped.

The oasis returned to the previous situation it was in. Loki stood at the edge of the pond, and the time gem glowed in my normal palm. It pulsed like a heart beat in my hand. Carefully, I relocated it into a spot in the Gauntlet.

Turning towards Loki, I nodded. A flash of green later he was at my side. His arm wrapped around my waist and we transported to SHIELD. Nick Fury stood expectantly in front of us.

"Mission completed, director." I informed.

"Aid the Avengers, then paperwork," The director dutifully responded.

"With what." I rolled my eyes, they need to keep out of trouble.

He gave his head a slight turn,"Army of robots. I'll help gather citizens to safety."

I raised an eyebrow curiously,"How'd that happen?"

"Stark," Fury's voice dropped annoyance,"Ultron is the result. Wishes to vanquish humanity to create peace."

"Numbers?" I questioned.

"Avengers, plus two mutants. The boy has super speed, and the girl has power over the mind."

I hummed, interested,"Goal?"

"Keep Ultron from placing a hand on the Vibranium machine."

"Where?" I questioned, as Loki tightened his arm around my waist.

Fury smirked,"The floating island of Sokovia."

Tell me what you think...