One - Maury Show

Minor changes! But still the same!! Enjoy!

reconstructed and published: 03-30-18

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

* * * * *

ONE - HOUSE

I drop my gym bag on the floor of the porch.

This is it.

This has to be the house or else I'm going to put my fucking head through a marble wall. I have looked every Holland house all over this town and the last person I asked as to where it was, they said that this is it.

I raise my fist and bring it down on the door lightly. After just a few seconds, I hear the doorknob shaking and slowly, it opens, revealing a guy that must be by my age, maybe a year older. He's got blonde hair, blue eyes, thin nose, pale lips, and a sharp jaw. He's undeniably good-looking; and a little taller than me and his body is average—not thin, not bulky—but definitely has muscles. He's got good taste in his clothes too; classic plaid shirt, black plants, and black and white sneakers.

"Hi," the blonde guy, says, grinning at me. He flashes his pearly white teeth. Wow.

Speak, Rosalie! GO!

"Um, I, uh," I stutter. Great, now I look like I'm having a stroke. "Does Philip and Loren Holland live here?"

He shakes his head and points at something behind me. I turn around and see a much bigger house in front of where I'm standing. I look back at the guy, his brows furrowed. "That's where they live."

Oh, shit. Way to embarrass yourself, Rosalie.

Not to mention that I'm definitely slamming my head on a wall.

I chuckle, very awkwardly. "Sorry. Some kid must have been messing with me. Anyway, thank you for pointing the house. I'm Rosalie, by the way."

I stick my hand out, and I immediately regret it when I see the manicure that I gave myself a month ago is already chipped. I knew I should've gotten a French manicure or something fancy before I went to this town.

Surprisingly, when I thought he'd think that my hand is disgusting and that he won't take it, he does the opposite, still smiling at me. "I'm Kelly." His eyes move to my bag on the floor. "Do you want me to help you out with that? It looks heavy."

I let go of his rough, warm hand and pick it up, carrying it like it's a shoulder bag. "It looks heavy but it's not. Thanks for the offer, though."

I wave at him goodbye and he does the same. That's when I turn around and walk towards the Holland house, preparing myself in seeing them for the first time.

Please. Let this be the last house that I bother.

I knock on the door, feeling all the exhaustion going through my body. But I still stand (or at least try to), even when I feel my knees are weak and I can already hear my heartbeat in my ears. If this anticipation continues, I might see my heart out of my chest in the next three seconds.

The door opens and the suspense stops. A couple is standing in front of me. The woman is dressed in formal clothes like she's been in a meeting of some sort. She has a dark blonde hair, green eyes, beautiful thin nose, and full red lips. The man is wearing a navy blue sweater and some jeans. He has a dark hair, blue eyes, pointy nose, and pale lips.

They're the people in the picture. They look slightly different but—

It's them.

"Can we help you?" The man's low voice catches my attention.

I pull out the paper on my back pocket and give it to them. I watch them unfold it, their brows furrow and staring at the picture intently. "You said that if I somehow wanted to find you," their gaze flicker back up at me, eyes full of confusion. "I should show you this picture."

"What一?" The woman takes the picture from the man's hands and stares at it, tears starting to form in her green wide eyes. "This is the picture we took when Emily was born, Philip."

The man, Philip Holland, glares at me. "I don't understand. Our little girl is gone. She was in a car accident. Is this some kind of sick joke?"

"Mom? Dad?"

The couple turns their head behind them and I see a guy probably by my age, maybe a bit younger, taking a peek at the door. He's wearing a red shirt, jeans, and those pointy shoes. He's got blonde hair and wide green eyes. He looks exactly like the woman; only more muscle, and less feminine.

He walks towards us and then points at me with his index finger. "Who's this?"

I drop the gym bag and kick it to their feet. "It's all the things you left me with before you gave me to Camille and Henry Murdock. The baby toy, brush, mirror, everything."

"I don't一"

The woman crumples the paper and throws it down on the ground. "Is this a prank? Are you asking for money? Our daughter died in a car accident with her adopted parents a year ago! You're not fooling anyone here."

Their son crosses his arms and walks in front of the woman as tears fell down her cheek, taking comfort in her husband's arms. "I want you to leave or I'm calling the cops. You've already upset my parents and me. My sister is dead. We read the news. We're not gullible people."

I shrug, giving them a small smile. "Look, I don't want to be here anymore than you would like me to but I promised my parents that I'll find you if something happens to them. Either way, it doesn't really matter if you tell me what you're going to choose. I'll leave you alone."

I start walking away from them, feeling their anger and sadness seeping through their eyes as they watch me walk away. Before I leave them, I turn around and give them another shrug. "I never did this for the money. I was raised by my parents to have dignity. I'm sure there's some kind of DNA testing that you'll want to do so I think you can find something there. Oh, and read more of the news, you'll find something there."

I just turn my heel around and walk away.

There, Ma. I followed your wishes. Happy now?

I really, really miss my parents.

We miss you too, honey. Now I can see them in front of me with their arms on each other, telling me with this big, bright smile on their faces and giving me what we usually call "flying kisses."