Sixteen - Alone Isn't Going to Work

Everybody's quiet.

              So was I.

              Am I going crazy? Did I hear it right?

              "Did he just ask Rose on a date?" I could hear Kevin asking his boyfriend. After a few seconds, I hear him whisper-shouting at me. "Rose, say no! No!"

              Luke's brows cock at him. "Let her answer, yeah?"

              Is he joking? This couldn't be happening. We all know that going on a date with your enemy is the most idiotic thing that one could do.

              Kevin doesn't say anything back. Is he really afraid of Luke because he's part of a gang?

              Sure, it's Shadows and practically feared gang but not all of the members are scary and actually partake in the activities that needs physical attention, if you know what I mean. For instance, I used to know our computer whiz and he was the nicest man ever.

              That's until Nathan caught him stealing and well, uh, shot him in between the eyes.

              Yes, I definitely do see why gang members are feared.

              "So, either I say yes to this date and you back off," I reiterate, trying to make sense of it. "or you start a fight in this class with Chris and Kelly?"

              He winks, taunting me. "You can say no but I get to hit these two pussies."

              "What the hell did you say?" Kelly shouts, already stepping closer towards him but I block him by my arm, pushing my brother and his best friend a couple of steps back. "Let me take a swing at him, Rosalie!"

              Luke just stares at me, his gaze never leaving, never stopping to turn to the two guys in front of him that wanted to fight him. "We both know that even if it's two to one, I'm going to win."

              I knew damn well he was telling the truth. If I learned anything from the gang life, it was that to learn your opponents' weaknesses no matter how many they are, no matter if they're even surrounding you. You have to be thinking quick and there was no secret that Luke was smart.

              Well, except for Chemistry. If he knew that the two chemicals would cause fire, he definitely shouldn't have placed them in together.

              If I could save my brother from sporting a bruise like Kelly is now, then, there's no second thoughts about it. Either they get beaten by Luke or nothing happens. There will be no fighting of some sort between my biological brother and Luke.

              It's just that, outside school, what's Luke fighting against is the brother I grew up with. And he definitely would not approve of me interacting with a Shadow.

              I'll have to talk to the triplets just to make sure they wouldn't say anything to Nathan.

              "If you also agree to leave me alone after this date," I negotiate, careful not to show my desperation of wanting him to say yes. "I'll do it."

              For what seemed like an eternity, he actually nods, smirking. "Fine. Tonight. Better cancel any plans you have. We're going after school."

              My eyes widen. He actually agreed.

              "Caroline's going to kill you," Kevin whispers. I doubt that he wanted me to hear it, but I did.