Twenty-Two - Gangs and Scoldings

We were all seated down at the huge dining table, having some of the leftover pizza with bacon and eggs that Kevin cooked for all of us. It was a simple breakfast between friends, and I couldn't help but smile and laugh as they joked around with one another, having a slapping contest even between Kevin, Caroline, and Alison while Zach and I just sat back and watched.

"Is this how it is always?"

Zach nods. "Trust me, you haven't seen anything when they fight on who gets to sit shotgun when we're all in one car."

They were still arguing when Luke had graced us his presence. His steps caused for everyone in the dining table to go silent, and just continue eating. Are they really scared of him this much? I had asked myself, but seeing as how Caroline just rolled her eyes at him and shot daggers at him, I could tell that she wasn't.

"Bacon, eggs, and pizza," he states, staring at the contents of the food on the table. "Can I join?"

Caroline shakes her head, crossing her arms in front of her chest. "I would let you but since you actually decided to sleep with Anna again, I'm going to have to say no to that. Seriously, Luke? Anna again? Is she here? Do you even remember what she said to me? How stupid can you get?"

Luke glances at me for a second before returning to Caroline's glare. He was probably trying to see what my reaction is but I only smile, completely entertained by how Caroline's ripping him into shreds. "Well, okay. One, she's not here, I sent her home the second it was done. Two, I do remember what she said to you. And three, I'm very stupid for even doing that. So, I'm sorry."

They all stare at him with their eyes wide, completely taken aback by the apology.

Caroline just shrugs. "Fine. Have breakfast with us."

He gives her a grin, satisfied, and then, walks around the table, taking a seat next to me—placing me in between him and Zach who, probably out of fear, scooted closer to Kevin.

"Hi," his eyes lands on me.

I just cock my brow at him. "Really? Hi?"

He shrugs, feigning innocence. "What? I can't say hi to my favorite person ever?" His eyes snaps back to his sister. "Well, you're always number one, sis."

"Uhh," Alison speaks, raising her fork with bacon stuck to it to point at me then at Luke. "What's going on? I'm very confused."

Time to actually tell the truth.

There's no doubt in my mind that I can trust the four of them, not only because I've done my background run on them, but also because I know in my gut that whoever they are, they can be trusted whether or not they get mad at me for keeping the secret for a long time.

Take a deep breath when you find it hard to say something, sweetie. Mom's voice was ringing in my mind again, her sweet voice just giving me relaxation, a sense of peace, if that even makes sense.

"Okay, it's no secret that Luke's in a gang," I say, my eyes glancing at him. He nods, encouraging for me to continue with taking my hand in his, intertwining our fingers. "Shadows. When I came here, I thought I was safe from any kind of gang activity but when you, Care, told me about how your brother's in one, I began to proceed with caution and hid the truth."

Her brows furrowed. "What do you mean? What aren't you telling us?"

Luke squeezes my hand. In that simple gesture, I find myself gaining comfort and confidence into moving on. "I actually belonged to a gang myself but got out at the age of sixteen, months before my parents died and turning seventeen."