Thirteen - Revelations

The next day, I tried to be normal as possible but the second I went to my locker and saw three of my friends waiting for me, they could immediately see that something was wrong. Well, they were able to tell by the size of the bags under my eyes. Apparently, they doubled and are darker now than the last time we all were together, as Kevin had said.

"You okay, sweetie?" Caroline snakes her arm around me, giving me a side hug, resting her head on to my shoulder. "We tried calling you last Friday night and tried to contact you all throughout Saturday and Sunday. What happened?"

Kevin leans on my other shoulder, wrapping his arms around me too. "You never really came back to the party. We tried to follow you but when we went out, you were gone. We just saw Care's brother, who weren't really interested in telling us if he talked to you."

Why would he keep it to himself if he was suspicious of me?

"You should have been there," Alison places her hands on my face, cupping my cheeks and giving me the most ridiculous grin ever. I can't help but chuckle a little from the love I was getting from three people that weren't even my biological family.

If there was anything I learned from Nathan, it was that blood doesn't make you important. You become a family to someone when you've respectfully earned it. I've never really felt it when I was working for him, meaning I was with different people.

Now, I don't know, I could feel it.

My brows furrow. "Why should I have been there? Was there any interesting thing that happened?"

Caroline waves her free hand dismissively. "We'll tell you later. You should tell us what happened when you got home. We saw your brother ran out of the party right after he talked secretly with his best friend."

I sigh. At least, he wasn't telling a lie when he said he talked to him.

Here's the thing of feeling completely lonely—it's that when everyone starts to leave, you start to feel comfortable in that state so much so that you never even try to ask them stay because... why would you need them? You've gotten so used to being by yourself, being independent, being alone, why even try something else that you'll instantly regret and come crawling into this headspace again?

See, going back here to this town, I wanted to try for the sake of having to promise my parents, but now, I'm sorry mom and dad. Looks like your little girl is up to her old tricks again and is going to sleep alone in a motel until I can go back.

I want to go back. I don't even want to stay here anymore.

As I ignored the usual people who were to answer the door, including Roman, I made my way up to my room. My. It's so weird using that name. All through these days, I've gotten used to settling in this big place, in my room where I could directly see my next-door neighbor, Kelly, who now hated my guts.

It was never really a care of mine whether or not Kelly would like me or not—what was a care for me was Chris, my biological brother, who I had gotten close to by spending time in the game room and later would talk about his life, here, in the suburbs, in this big mansion of a home.

I thought that we had an understanding, we were getting used to having a sibling, but who am I even kidding, right? Everything that I thought would positively happen to me would always crash and burn in front of me.

"Listen, Rosalie," Chris is panting, probably from running up the stairs in order to talk to me. "I should've spoken up and taken your side but—what are you doing?"