Seventeen - In The Fair

This was a very bad idea.

              Actually, for all my stupidest decisions, this actually takes the cake.

              "Come on, Rosalie," Luke rolls his eyes at me, tapping his foot in impatience. "It'll be fun."

              I give him a blank look. "Look, this must come as a surprise to you, but I hate—I repeat, I fucking hate fairs or anything that involves being around a lot of people."

              Yup, here we are standing in front of the entrance, where just a few distance away from us, people were getting hyped in the game stands all over, and there was a long line to the Ferris wheel. Some people were screaming out of happiness and some out of frustration.

              "You go to high-school," he passes me a blank look, showing me the 'duh' look on his face. "Pretty sure there's a lot of people there."

              Cocking my brow at him, I cross my arms. "And why do you think that I didn't bother to learn any names except for my brother, Kelly, Caroline, Alison, Kevin, and Zach?"

              He shrugs. "You know me."

              "You think I wanted to know your name?"

              The challenging stare between the two of us didn't break. Not one person has ever handled my temper except for Nathan and I don't show it much because I was on the way to learning on controlling it but when it came to Luke, it just came out—almost like a reflex, an impulse I have to act on.

              Normally, he would punch back harder like he always does with me. But then, he shakes his head and heads back towards the parking lot, going towards his red Chevrolet. "You know what? It was wrong for me to force you into this date. Come on, I'll drive you to your place, end this date and I'll keep my word on not starting a fight with Kelly and Chris. I'll leave you alone too."

              That was it? No fighting with me in letting me go on a date with him? He was just going to give up like that?

              It was so unlike him. From the first day up to before this date, we've either ignored, insulted, or challenged one another. Something about Luke was always different. I've known that from the start (and it's not just because he's a member of a gang that we absolutely loathe) but ignored it, knowing completely that if I try and look deep enough to this enemy of mine—

              I might find something that I wish I didn't.

              Which I why I'm going to hell for doing this.

              "Okay," I hear him pause where he stands, the opened car door was just left there and I knew that he wanted more than okay from me. "This day up until I get back to my place, I will be cool with anything. I'll try to not be a bitch in this date."

              He stands still, clearly thinking it over. For what seemed like an hour, he finally shuts his car door, stalks in front of me. "I don't want to force you to—"

              Shaking my head, I cut him off before he can even finish his sentence. "You're not. I'm not doing this for them or for you to leave me alone. I'm just doing this because I want to. Now, we better get inside before I actually change my mind and steal your car keys."

              There it is. That unbelievably contagious smile of his, one that I haven't seen until that car ride, until now. It's normal for people to smile at you, some it's a greeting or a natural thing for them, but when it came to Luke Thomas himself, I didn't know why it felt weird for me. This feeling of having to want to see him smile again and stay like that.