The Diary...

Narrator's POV

When the whole class was seated, Lockhart cleared his throat loudly and silence fell.

He reached forward, picked up Neville's copy of Travels with Trolls, and held it up to show his own winking portrait on the front.

"Me," he said, pointing at it and winking as well. "Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin: Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defense League, and five-time winner of Witch Weekly's Most-Charming-Smile Award  but I don't talk about that. I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at her! I see you've all bought a complete set of my books —well done. I thought we'd start today with a little quiz. Nothing to worry about just to check how well you've read them, how much you've taken in."

When he had handed out the test papers he returned to the front of the class and said, "You have thirty minutes starting now!"

Harry looked down at his paper and read:

"1.    What is Gilderoy Lockhart 's favorite color?

2.    What is Gilderoy Lockhart's secret ambition?

3.    What, in your opinion, is Gilderoy Lockhart's greatest achievement to date?

4.    When is Gilderoy Lockhart's birthday, and what would his ideal gift be?"

After everyone finished, Professor Lockhart began to flip through the papers. "Tut, tut —hardly any of you remembered that my favorite color is lilac. I say so in Year with the Yeti. And a few of you need to read Wanderings with Werewolves more carefully —I clearly state in chapter twelve that my ideal birthday gift would be harmony between all magic and non-magic peoples —though I wouldn't say no to a large bottle of Ogdeds Old Firewhiskey! But Miss Hermione Franqui knew my secret ambition is to rid the world of evil and market my own range of hair-care potions —good girl! In fact full marks, where is Miss Hermione Franqui?"

Hermione raised her hand semi-proudly.

"Excellent!" Lockhart praised "Quite excellent! Take ten points for Slytherin! And so, to business."

He bent down behind his desk and lifted a large, covered cage onto it.

"Now be warned! It is my job to arm you against the foulest creatures known to wizardkind! You may find yourselves facing your worst fears in this room. Know only that no harm can befall you whilst I am here. All I ask is that you remain calm."

Harry leaned around his pile of books for a better look at the cage.

Lockhart placed a hand on the cover.

Ron, Dean and Seamus had stopped laughing now.

Lavenderwas cowering in his front row seat.

"I must ask you not to scream," Lockhart warned quietly "it might provoke them."

As the whole class held its breath as Lockhart whipped off the cover.

"Yes," he said dramatically "freshly caught Cornish pixies."

Seamus Finnigan couldn't control himself, he let out a snort of laughter that even Lockhart couldn't mistake for a scream of terror.