Chapter 2 - Boys & Therapy

The feeling of the sharp jagged breath woke me from the nightmare, and fear filled me to the core before understanding calmed my mind. I pushed up feeling the cool air blowing a crossed my face. I must have fallen asleep with the window open again. I moved over to close it then turned heading for the kitchen. There was no point going back to sleep again, not after the nightmare. I turned on the coffee pot and flipped on the television and waited. It was just before five and any second my father would come down the stairs to get his morning paper.

            Sure enough I heard the unmistakable sound of a board squeaking overhead. About five minutes later I heard heavy footsteps on the stairs, and I turned to stare at him. He didn’t see me as he passed, nor did he realize that the tv was on. He walked outside and came running back in a moment later holding the paper. “Any plane crashes.” I asked in a low voice. He jumped dropping the paper and grabbed his heart staring at me.

            “How many damn times do I have to tell you to stop that?” His words were rushed and hard to hear through his breathing. He stood there breathing heavy with his eyes close for a second.

“The old ticker still working?” I asked with a laugh in my voice. He smiled but that was all he did.

            A moment later he looked up at me still wearing his smile. “With all that it’s been through it’s a miracle.” I smiled getting up and walked over to the coffee pot and poured two cups. “So what are you doing up anyway.” He asked taking a chair in the kitchen. I shrugged handing him his cup. He frowned when I wouldn’t meet his eyes. “Another nightmare.” I nodded and took the seat next to him pulling my legs against my chest. “Bad?”

            “No more so then normal.” He nodded and took a sip of his coffee.

            “Do you want to talk about it?” I smiled and looked over at him.

            “We already have, several times in fact.” He sighed which I mirrored. “Don’t forget that I have therapy after lunch.” His arm froze half-way to his mouth. “You already forgot.” I looked away as anger filled my eyes.

            “Honey, your mother isn’t that bad.” My jaw dropped as I stared at him.

            “Last time I was there for five minutes before we were asked to leave. She won’t accept that I not her little girl anymore, and that I’m never going to be that girl again. I have accepted, and so have you, and you don’t get us kicked out either.” He smiled shaking his head.

            “I will pick you up, promise.” I leaned over and wrapped my arms around his neck kissing his cheek.

            “Thanks dad. Now let me go have a shower.” I pushed up and was walking toward the door when I heard him say.

            “Oh yeah, hug and kiss your father, then go take a shower, trying to tell me something.” I turned back with a smile.

            “Maybe.” He shook his head again as I turned back mounting the stairs. I was in and out of the shower in about five minutes, then walked to my room to get dress. Once that was done I grabbed my teeth and popped them in as I ran down the stair to find dad fully dress working on his second cup of coffee. He grabbed his briefcase and a second cup, holding it out to me. “Thanks.”