Chapter 21 - Love, Hate, and Frank

“So what going on between you and your mother?” Grandpa voice rung out sharp and I turned from milking the goat to find him standing inside the doorway to the barn.

            “What do you mean?” I asked trying hard to keep my voice even, I was planning to tell him, but I just wasn’t ready yet.

            “Don’t play dumb little one.” He said in his ‘I’m not playing’ voice, a voice I really hated to hear. “The two of you have barely said a word to one another since getting here, and if you’re in a room together, one of you rushes off.” I frowned looking away, I knew this was going to come up, but yet I still didn’t know what to do.

            “Mom and I are having a conflict of issues that we’re working out.” I said thinking he would accept that, but I could tell by his eyes he wasn’t. “It’s a personal thing.” I said in a small voice. He sighed and walked over pulling up a bucket next to the one I was sitting on.

            “You know that you could tell me anything.” His voice was even, so the words just meant what he said.

            “I’m not entirely sure I can.” He looked into my eyes and nodded softly after a moment.

            “When you’re ready to talk, you know where I am.” He pushed up grabbing my shoulder, and gave it a light squeeze, before leaving me alone with the goat.

            I finished with the goat with a hollow feeling in my chest and went inside to wash up for dinner. I came into the back door so I wasn’t really that surprised to find grandma and mom busy with tonight’s dinner. I quickly rushed towards the stairs but my grandma’s words stopped me. “Have you seen your grandpa?” I turned back with a  smile.

            “About ten minutes ago he was with me in the barn, but he left after that.” She frowned looking over at the antique-looking timer. “Do you want me to go and find him?” She looked over for a moment then shook her head.

            “No, you go ahead and clean up.” I turned heading up the stair to the small bathroom at the back of the house, but when I rounded the corner I found the door shut and locked.

            “Give me a moment.” Jane’s voice called out and I felt my heart pick up. With all that has been going on here Jane and I hadn’t had much time together. I leaned forward until my mouth was next to the wooden door.

            “Let me in.” I whispered and a second later the lock click and the door opened. She stepped back as I rushed in and closed the door behind me. Her lips were on my before I could turn around good, and boy did they feel good against my wind-chapped lips. We kissed hard and strong for a good minute before pulling back laying our foreheads against one another’s. “I miss that.”

            “Me too, but until you say something we can’t even risk doing this.” I smiled hearing hear voice soften with each words.

            “I’m going to tell grandpa soon, I think tonight when he doing the fire pit.” I frown wondering if that was such a good idea, he may freak out and try to throw me into the pit. I shook my head free myself of those outrages thoughts.