Chapter 5 - Dinner and A Show

I could smile thinking back to my first few weeks of school. Kelly and Stacy was now sitting with Jane and her friends, and we all seem to like being around each other. Jane had become my best friend, something the others couldn’t miss. The more time I spent around Jane the happier I become, and in all that time she never asked me about what she had learned.

            Jake was still flirting with me, and I tried to be polite, but distance, and yet he still couldn’t tell that I wasn’t into him. The final bell sounded and Jane walked up to me at my locker. “Do you want a ride home?” I smiled nodding already dreading ridding the bus for the first time. I closed my door and turned towards the exit and was almost there when Jake appeared at my side.

            “Hey, can I have a word.” He asked sounding very nervous, which put my defenses on high alert. Once we found a quiet corner he smiled looking at me. “So I was wondering…if maybe you would like to go to the movies…with me, as in a date.” I looked down at my feet as he asked hoping I wouldn’t hurt him.

            “Jake, I like you, but I’m not looking for a boyfriend, I mean I’m just making friends again.” His face fell and my heart broke, I almost said yes just to get a smile on his face.

            “Oh, well maybe later once you start looking for one?” I smiled looking up at him.

            “Maybe.” I turned and walked over to Jane sighing.

            “He asked you out didn’t he?” I nodded lowering my eyes.

            “I told him not too when he asked if you liked him.” I looked up at her confused and she smiled. “He came to me in my science class asking if you liked him. When I asked him why he was asking, he said that he was thinking about asking you out. I told him that you weren’t really ready for that yet.”

            “Thanks for looking out.” She smiled shaking her head.

            “You’re alright?” She asked causing me to look at her confused for a second. I shook my head to clear the cobwebs and smiled at her.

            “Yeah, it’s just the look he wore after I turned him down, I really didn’t want to hurt him.”

            “Forget that, what matters is that you want it or not. Don’t care how others feel, before you think of your own feelings.” I turned back finding her with an irritated look.

            “Is there a story behind that speech?” She laughed opening her car door.

            “No, no story.” I got in throwing my bag in the backseat.

            “What are you doing tonight?” I asked looking over at her as she started the car.

            “Wasn’t really sure, why?”

            “Well I was wondering if you would like to have dinner with my parents tonight. They’ve been getting on me for a while about it.” She pulled out onto the road turning the radio on.

            “That sounds fun, anything I should know before walking in.” I smiled laughing.

            :”Be careful when it comes to questions about my dad’s job, and my mother will ask the really deep questions.” I paused looking away annoyed. “And tell things that she shouldn’t.”

            “She sounds kind of like my mother.” I nodded but didn’t turn back to her. The drive to my house was short and as she pulled into my drive-way my apprehension grew. I really wasn’t looking forward to this. We got out and headed inside and I gave the tour of the house. When we got to my room I pulled my books out and we started on our homework. She looked up surprised as I answered the questions without even reading the chapter.