Chapter 3 - Friends & the Dream

“Your teachers are worried about you Ashley, and freakily so am I.” I rolled my eyes as I grew tired of this meeting with the guidance councilor. She called requesting me to come to her office right in the middle of a movie in English. Now here I sit listening to how having friends is a good thing. “You’ve been here for almost two weeks, and yet you only have two friends, and is rude to anyone that comes near you.”

            “I’m rude only to the boys that come near me.” I corrected her causing her to frown.

            “Fine, any boys that comes near you. My point is still the same.” She held my eyes for a second before smiling with a soft face. “Why don’t you want to be around anyone?”

            “Oh let me see, I don’t like boys because they don’t see me as a person.” Her face narrowed with a concern look.

            “Why do you say that?” I smiled pushing up from the chair I sat in.

            “Look, this has been fun, but I really need to get to class.” I turned and walked out the door and into the main office. I passed through without looking at anyone, and once in the hall I sped up into a run heading back to class. I rounded a corner and ran right into a girl knocking the two of us down. “Oh god I’m sorry, I wasn’t watching where I was going.” I didn’t look at her out of shame of the tears that fell freely from my eyes.

            But her hand, touching my face to wipe them away, did make me look up to find a smile and green eyes. “Are you alright?” She asked in a soft voice wiping the other side of my face.

            “I’m fine.” I said lowering my eyes again.

            “You’re Ashley, the new girl.” I nodded feeling very vulnerable for some reason.

            “I’m Jane. I was hoping to run into you, but not this way.” She said laughing and I looked up to see her still smiling. “You don’t like to be near people do you?”

            “It’s not that, I just find it hard to be near people.” She nodded and pushed up to her feet holding out her hand. I took it, letting her pull me up and as she did she started giggling, which I soon joined in.

            “Well I’ll see you around.” She said giving a soft wave and headed off down the hall. I turned to watch her for a moment then took off towards my class once more. I got back just in time for the bell to ring. I grabbed my bag and took off towards my science class.

            Around, turn out to be at lunch. I had just gotten my tray and was heading towards my small table in the corner, when out of nowhere Jane was at my side pulling me over to a larger table filled with people. I looked down the moment I sat down as Jane started introducing me to everyone. There were three girls named, Alice, Kimberly, and Tracy. Alice was short with soft blonde hair and blue eyes. Kimberly was light skinned with long smooth black hair. Tracy was something else altogether, she had long pink hair with green spots. Her eyes was brown, but the metal stud eyebrow rings really caught your attention.