Chapter 4 - Crush & Discovery

Why was I doing this? I thought as I stared at my reflection in the mirror. I looked down at my phone frowning to see that Jane would be here in just under five minutes. I grabbed my teeth from the glass bowl that sat next to the sink, and slipped them into my mouth. I wiggled them easily with my tongue causing me to frown even harder. Great, another dentist appointment to look forward too. I gave myself a once over wondering if I looked alright.

            I turned and ran down the stairs to find both of my parents sitting in the living room, and as I walked in they looked up and stared at me with open mouths. “What?” I asked looking down at myself.

            “It’s just, that I haven’t seen you wear something so nice before.” My mother said giving me a smile. I looked down at myself again, looking over the soft black fabric pants, with my light red v-neck shirt.

            “You look fine honey.” Dad said getting up pulling his wallet out of his pants.

            “Dad I have money of my own.” He just smiled handing me a twenty dollar bill. I took it with an annoyed face, but still his smile remained. A horn sounded out front causing me to turn apprehensively biting my lower lip. “Have fun honey.” My dad said kissing the top of my head. I nodded and blew a kiss to my mom, then ran out to find a nice looking Mustang sitting in the drive-way. Jane smiled at me through the window and I eased into the car giving her a smile of my own.

            “You ready to have fun?” She asked meaning it to be a joke, but the grim expression she got back answered her. “You don’t have to come if you don’t want to.”

            “I want to slightly, and I guess that has to be enough. I’m tired of always being alone.” I hadn’t meant to say the last part, and judging by the look she gave me it would come up again. She flipped on the radio and backed out to Godsmack. As she drove she looked over to find me nodding to the beat and started laughing.

            “So, music is your thing.” She turned the volume up, very much to my satisfaction. She started asking me questions about what type of music I liked, and it surprised me at how quickly the answer left my mouth, normally I just didn’t talk about myself. As we drove on she switched between clothing, music, and movies, and again I answered without pause. She didn’t ask me anything too personal, but a few times when it got close I hesitated. Each time this happened she would look over and hold my eyes for a second or two.

            The parking lot at the theater was jammed packed with cars, what with the Hunger Games playing it really wasn’t that surprising. We got out and started making our way to the ticket booth, when out of nowhere Kevin appeared grabbing Jane. Behind him stood Alice, who shook her head disapprovingly, Kimberly and Tracy. Jake was just pulling in, and as he got out he smiled at me nodding his head.

As we walked I kept feeling Jake’s hand brushing up against my arm. Each time I would look over to find him staring off into space, but part of me felt that he was doing it on purpose. About half-away a crossed the lot he looked over smiling at me, before turning away in embarrassment. It was clear that he ‘like’ me in a way I wasn’t ready for. At the booth we each paid for a ticket then walked inside to get our popcorn. Kevin pulled Jake off with him to the front leaving me in the back with Jane. “I think he has a crush on you.” I looked away from her as she said this, and felt her hand come to rest on my shoulder. I turned back to find her looking at me with a strange look. “I can’t stop wondering what it is that you hide, and I’m sorry for that.”