Chapter 14 - The Secret Revealed

The wind lightly blew our hair as we walked around the pond, putting distance between us and the others. “You seem to be handling this appeal better then you did the last one.” Danny voice was soft, breaking the silence that fall between us. I turned taking in my friends sitting by the pond’s edge.

            “Maybe I’m just used to it this time.” He turned his face also staring off towards my friends.

            “Or maybe you’re not so alone this time.” I half-smiled looking down at the ground. “Are you happy with her?” I looked up nodding.

            “Yeah I am.” His eyes shine with nothing but joy, and I laughed looking away from him. “I just don’t know how to handle my parents on this one.” He too laughed.

            “You’ll know when it is right to tell them, I’m sure they will be happy as long…” I turned abruptly away from him and started walking again.

            “My mother doesn’t accept me as it is, she’ll never approve.” I turned back as I felt his hand grab my shoulder.

            “You have never let your mother control your life, why should this change that.” I shook my head smiling at him.

            “This is my choice, but I want my mother to just be happy for me, but that is too much to ask for I guess.” I said laughing. He held my eyes and slowly the laughter died and I smiled at him again. “But it’s worth the heartache.” I said turning back catching Jane watching us.

            “She cares for you greatly.” I looked up wondering how he could see that. “You doubt that?”

            “No, I don’t doubt it…it’s just,” I sighed shaking my head, “I don’t know.” He reached out pushing my chin up until I was looking into his eyes.

            “You do deserve to be happy Ash, don’t ruining this because you don’t think that you do.” I smiled pulling away from his hand.

            “I know that, but everything happened just so fast. One minute I made a friend, the next she’s my girlfriend. Now everything is so slow. I feel that I should be giving more to her, but in order to do that I have to let her into my very soul, and I’m finding it very difficult to do so.” He stood there listening to me as I rumbled, never interrupting me, and as I finished he reached out grabbing my shoulder again.

            “Time is important, don’t rush things just because they feel slow. If you need time to brace yourself before she becomes part of you, then take it.” I looked up holding his eyes and saw the love and care that he felt towards me. “I’ve been part of your life for four year now Ashley, and in that time I have seen you become a girl that I am proud to call a friend.” He looked over at Jane and the others and smiled. “Tell her that she has my approval, as do all your friends.”

            “Leaving already.” I asked smiling at him. He turned back chuckling.

            “You know my job, a lot of hard hours and not much time for anything else.” I hugged him tightly and then he walked off towards his car. I waved as he got in and pulled away, then walked over to my friends smiling at them. I took a seat next to Jane on the grass, and laid back staring up at the sky.

            The others were talking about Danny, but I just stared off into the sky seeing the clouds making shapes. “What are you doing?” I turned finding Jane smiling at me and I laughed.

            “Just watching the sky.” She reached over cupping my cheek stroking it lightly. “Nature is such a big part of my religion.” She smiled pulling her hand back sitting up.