Chapter 18 - Sadness, Fear, and Relief

Please forgive me if this isn't onpar with my normal work, but now is a very hard time for my family and I. Please vote if you like it and comment if you would like to for me to send you a message if you want to know when the next chapter is posted.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            I walked into the kitchen to find Ashley’s father making a cup of coffee. “Morning, have you seen Ash?” He nodded and pointed out the back door and I turned going out back. I found her sitting on the small deck that the kitchen led out onto. She was sitting on a lawn-chair cross-legged. I stood there and watched as she stared off out into the trees. “What are you looking at?”

            She didn’t say anything, in fact she didn’t do anything, she just kept staring. I called her name out twice, but still she didn’t say anything. Slowly I reached out lightly shaking her arm, causing her to jump a mile. She looked up at me with a mixture of confusion and fear. “What?” She asked clearly trying to figure out something.

            “I just asked you something and all you did was just sit there.” She frowned looking away and I got the feeling that she knew what I was talking about.

            “Sorry about that, just got distracted.” She said looking back up at me with a smile. I narrowed my eyes getting the impression that she was trying to change the subject. “So what’s up?” She said in a cheerful demeanor.

            “Nothing, just got up and thought I come find you.” She smiled pushing up grabbing my hand.

            “Well then you must need something to fill that empty stomach of yours.” She pulled me towards the kitchen and over to the bar. “Hey dad!” she called out walking over to one of the cabinets.

            “What’s up?” He asked walking into the kitchen.

            “I just wanted to know if you wanted some pancakes, I was going to make some for Jane.” He opened his mouth to say something but my voice cut him off.

            “You don’t have to make me anything.” She turned looking at me with a blank look for a second before turning back to her father.

            “Anyway, would you like a couple?” I smiled shaking my head as he said that he did, then he turned and walked off, leaving the two of us alone.

            “Really, you don’t have to cook me anything.” She turned and started grabbing bowls and other cooking tools. I watched as she careful made the batter then watched as she started pouring it into a frying pan. “So how did you learn to cook?” She was in the middle of flipping one of the pancakes, but as I spoke she stopped looking away from both the frying pan and me.

            “My mother taught me.” She answered after a moment, but I could hear the hurt in here voice. I didn’t say anything until she placed a plate in front of me then she turned and made her father a few. “Dad, there ready.” She called out walking over to the stool next to the one I was sitting on.

            “Aren’t you going to eat something?” She shook her head smiling at me.