Chapter 1

I have finished doing a final edit for this story, thank you for all the votes and comments

Chapter 1 : Reaping day

I'm woken up by my mother cooking in the kitchen, she has been up since 6am this morning, making sure everything is ready. Today is reaping day, I am volunteering for this years hunger games, in which I have been training since I was nine years old. I still remember the day when the mayor of our district arranged the meeting with my mother about training me for this years games. Of course I was upset at first, but I realised I would stand a good chance of winning since I would be trained for 7 years.

I manage to drag myself out of my bed and head to the bathroom, I notice my mother has filled a tub with hot water, I scrub myself clean and after I'm washed I go back to my room and see that my mother has laid out one of her beautiful dresses, this one is made of silk and is a light pink colour. Everyone must look their best on reaping day. Once I'm dressed I brush my hair and let the loose curls sit on my shoulders.

When I walk into the kitchen I can see my mother has been crying, even though she has known for years what I'm about to do it still causes her pain. "So what's for breakfast?" I say trying to sound happier than I feel. "Bakery bread and goats cheese, your favourite" she replies barely audible. We never have fancy bread like this as its too expensive but today is different. As she serves up breakfast we talk quietly. "You will try your best to win won't you?" says my mother. "Of course I will, I haven't trained seven years for nothing" I say back. I give her a quick hug and put on the black shoes my mother has left put for me and head outside, hopefully some fresh air will clear my head.

The next two weeks will be undoubtedly hard for my mother. My father died when I was three, and if I die in the arena she will have no one left to love.

I walk down the street to Cato's house. He is a tall boy with blonde hair and blue eyes. He is also volunteering for the games, we have both been training together for seven years, but there is one problem. Ever since the first day of school when I first saw Cato, I have found him extremely attractive. We have always been good friends in training and I have never considered the idea of him liking me. However this whole fantasy has to be forgotten pretty soon as we are both entering an arena in which we must fight to the death until only one remains.

"You looking for me by any chance?" says a familiar voice. I spin around and see Cato standing there, without thinking I run over and hug him tightly. "So you ready?" I say into his chest.

"As ready as I can be" he replies.

We walk over to the justice building, this is where the reaping will be held. "Be brave" he whispers. I head off to be registered, a peacekeeper pricks my finger and takes some of my blood. Many of the girls moan and whimper when this is being done but I just get on with it.

After registration, we all pile into the square in front of the justice building. I stand in the group of 16 year olds and turn my attention to the stage. I spot Cato in the crowd of boys and he gives me a reassuring nod.

"Welcome, welcome to the 74th annual hunger games reaping!" pipes Indigo. Indigo is from the Capitol and every year she escorts the district 2 tributes. She is wearing a ridiculous outfit that looks hideous on her.

We watch a boring video from the Capitol, that they play every year. Then Indigo says "Now the time has come to select the tributes, as usual ladies first!" she walks over to the ball and picks out a slip. She walks back over to the microphone "Jessica Longden!" she pipes. A skinny girl steps forward, she looks like she is going to faint, I think she is in my year at school.

It's now or never I think. "I volunteer!" I shout. People tend to turn a blind eye to volunteers as it's standard in district 2. I stumble up on to the stage, Indigo grabs my hand and pulls me towards the microphone.

"Well of course we have a volunteer, what is your name?" says Indigo.

"Clove Sevina" I say proudly.

"Well that's the spirit of the games!" she says.

"Now it's time for the boys!" Indigo exclaims. She walks over to the ball and pulls out a slip. Then she reads out the name "Simon Green" a small 13 year old steps forward. "I volunteer!" Cato shouts. He strides up to the stage. The boy who was originally reaped looked relieved. Well obviously.

"Well then another volunteer, what is your name young man?" pipes Indigo.

"Cato Hadley" he says.

"Well then here are this years tributes from district 2!" Indigo says.

Indigo tells us to shake hands which is stupid since we already know each other, but we both do it anyway. We are lead off stage and a peacekeeper leads me into a dusty room filled with fancy furniture, this is where I will say my goodbyes. I sit down on a velvet couch, until my mother comes in. She doesn't speak she just holds me whilst silently crying. We stand there hugging for as long as they let us. "I will see you soon ok, I love you" she cries. "Remember that I'm going to try really hard to win, I promise" I say.

A peacekeeper bursts in and has to break us apart, then he leads her out. I'm struggling to hold back tears but I cannot appear weak. I'm wondering if I will get any more visitors but the only person that walks through the door next is Cato. "Ready?" he says.

"Yeah, let's go" I reply.

We walk out the room and Indigo leads us outside to the car. I have never been in a car we walk everywhere in district 2. Indigo is rambling on about the Capitol and how excited everyone is, but I just ignore her and stare out the window watching the people outside wave and cheer as we drive past.