Chapter 7

Chapter 7: First night in the arena

For a second I'm blinded by the sunlight. When I come to my senses, I look at the cornucopia surrounded by tributes and filled with weapons. The value decreasing the further away from the horn. I look around, to my left is a lake and behind me is forests. I look back at the weapons and I spot a vest with knives in the pockets. I need them I think. I spot Cato he is about 6 tributes to my left. Only 5 seconds left...4..3....2....1...

When I hear the gong I run as fast as I can to the cornucopia. I quickly grab up the vest of knives and put it on. I grab a knife out of one pocket and look for someone to kill. I see the boy from district 9 about to kill girl on fire. I throw a knife in his back, he falls to the ground. Girl on fire looks at me, I throw another knife, but she puts up her backpack to block the knife and it gets lodged in her backpack.

I don't chase her, instead I run back to the cornucopia, many people are already dead. I see Cato slit a boys throat, and another. Then I see something, Cato sees a boy just about to kill Glimmer, then he kills him, saving Glimmers life! The rest of the tribute are either dead or have ran into the woods.

We look for some more weapons, I fill up my jacket with knives and also I fill a backpack with more knives, some food and a water bottle. When we have took our weapons me, Cato, Glimmer and Marvel run of into the woods so they can collect the bodies.

After about 10 minutes of walking we spot a girl who I think is from district 4, she is injured.
"I thought I killed her!" shouts Cato. She sees is and then tries to crawl away but Cato kills her before I even get there. The cannon goes off and we set off hunting again.

As we are walking we discuss how we are going to store up the remaining supplies, so no one else can use them. It is early evening, we decide to keep hunting through the night, we find lover boy from district 12 by the river. Cato goes in to kill but before we kill him he says something about how he can help us find girl on fire if we promise to keep him alive.

We eventually agree because she has been our target from the beginning. After about 5 hours we hear the anthem being played. First up is the girl from district 3, then both from 4, the boy from 5, both from 6 and 7, the boy from eight, both from 9 and the girl from 10. I start to feel guilty about killing the boy from district 9 since he was my first kill.

12 are dead only 12 to go! We realise that we haven't found any water yet. "There is a lake by the cornucopia" i say. "Good I think we should head back there in the morning" says Glimmer. Marvel then suddenly spots light coming from a fire. We all run over, the girl from district 8 begs us not to kill her but Cato has already pulled out his sword. She lets out an agonising scream. Then the cannon goes off.

We walk away so they can collect the body. Then I hear Glimmer trying to be funny in front of Cato, by mimicking what the girl from district 8 did before she died. "Hey, lover boy are you sure she went this way?" says Cato. "Yes I'm sure" says Peeta. We all follow him, I hear Glimmer discussing with Cato about weather to kill him now or later.

We think it is around midnight, so we go back to make camp at the lake by the cornucopia. Marvel offers takes first watch, I lie down on a pile of leaves and I instantly fall asleep after a long day. When I wake up, I see that everyone else is already up and they are filling up their water bottles. I fill up mine and then we make our way to the cornucopia to find breakfast.