Chapter 10

Chapter 10: Tracker Jackers

Buzz... buzz. I could hear a low humming sound. I was half asleep, so I didn't take any notice, it got louder and louder..... BANG! A large tracker jacker nest had spilt open right in front of me. Me, Marvel, Cato and Peeta had the sense to drop our weapons and run.

I'm still half asleep and still confused about what was going on.

"To the lake!" cries Marvel.

Glimmer was screaming frantically, because she slept on Cato's arm she was slowing him down. Now is my chance, I give Glimmer a slight push. It was enough to make her fall, already 4 tracker Jackers have found me, but many our still chasing us.

After running for a few minutes, we eventually make it to the lake we dive into the lake and the tracker Jackers disappear. We can still hear Glimmers faint scream in the distance.

We all get out of the water and then we here a cannon and we know that Glimmer has died. Suddenly we realise that whoever dropped that nest on us might still be there. "Girl on fire must have done it!" I exclaim.

"She was in the tree above us!" says Marvel. I'm starting to feel sick from the tracker jacker venom.

"Let's go!" says Cato.

"Wait where is lover boy!"says Marvel.

We see him running off to warn girl on fire that we are coming back. "Quick!" I yell. We all run after lover boy, when we get there we see lover boy, but no Katniss! He must have told her to run. Cato runs up to him and makes a deep cut in lover boys leg. He runs off, Cato chases after him but stops halfway because he is dizzy from tracker jacker venom. "Let him go, he will bleed to death soon!" I say.

We collect our backpacks and weapons, we look at Glimmers lumpy body her limbs are 3x their usual size, then we realise that Katniss has Glimmers bow and arrows.

"That's how she must have got that eleven" I say. We help each other back to the lake, I pull out mine and Cato's stingers. Marvel has got the worst stings, as we are ripping out his stingers, we notice the boy from district 3 across the lake who was also stung, when we drew the trackers trackers to the lake. then suddenly a thought comes to my mind.

"Mines!" I shout.

"What do you mean?" asks Cato.

"The boy could reactivate the mines and protect our supplies!" I say.

"Good idea" says Marvel. We walk over and tell him that we will keep him alive if he does this. He accepts and gets to work.