Chapter 3

Chapter 3: The opening ceremony

The outside goes light again and we are on a different platform with Capitol people, but they all stand in groups of three. We get off the train and Indigo leads me to a group of three people, Indigo tells me that they are my prep team. My prep team introduce themselves as Harriet, Darius and Taylor. They lead me to the remake centre where they will get me prepared for tonights opening ceremony.

When I enter the remake centre it is only me and Cato and the district 1 tributes, I guess the other tributes haven't got to the Capitol yet. I'm led to my section and then someone draws a curtain to separate me and the other tributes. I look around, there is a cabinet full of complicated beauty products and a bathtub filled with hot water, and a scrub next to it.

I'm in the remake centre almost 3 hours. Harriet, who has gold jewels laid out in a pattern on her face, scrubs me down twice. Then Taylor, who has her bright green hair styled into spikes over her head, waxes my legs, arms and my eyebrows. Finally Darius, who has had his whole body dyed purple, files, shapes and paints my nails. When they are finished my whole body stings. The other tributes are still being prepped, but my prep team lead me into a room an then tell me to wait for my stylist. I stand there only wearing a thin paper robe, and I'm hoping my stylist won't make me remove it.

My stylist bursts in and congratulates me, then he introduces himself. "Hello Clove my name is Louis" he says excitedly. "Hi" I say quietly. "Right I have your costume here and you are going to love it" he says. He unzips the bag and pulls out some kind of gold armoury. He paints my nails and solid gold colour and then he does my hair in a bun and puts a little makeup on me. "I want people to recognise you in the arena so I'm only using a little makeup" he says. He then dresses me in the costume. "There I'm done!" he beams.

I take the elevator down to the stables. When I arrive at my chariot, Cato is dressed in the exact same outfit. We both start to laugh then Indigo says "Now there are a lot of sponsors in the audience so make a good impression!" Sponsors could mean the difference between life and death in the arena. I climb into the chariot and before I know it I'm out there.

I hold Cato's hand to keep me steady, I wave at everyone, trying to make a good impression, the crowd is cheering and screaming at us, everyone seems to love us until their attention turns to something else. I turn around to see the district 12 tributes are on fire and everyone is adoring them.

Once we reach the city circle and President Snow had finished his speech, Cato is furious that district 12 tributes have outshone him. When we are back in the training centre, Cato gives them a dirty look. We walk over to the elevator and press the number 2 button. Each district has their own floor. Indigo shows us to our rooms, so we can get changed. Then we have dinner with our mentors, stylists and Indigo.

The dinner is amazing again, with soups, noodles and roast beef. I just keep eating as much as I can, everyone is talking about the opening ceremonies and about the district 12 tributes making a good impression.

Indigo is asking us if we would like to watch the recap of the opening ceremonies. I quickly say no because Cato will get angry seeing that the district 12 tributes outshone him. It would be good though, to see the tributes and see who are up against. But I guess we will see everyone

tomorrow in training.