Chapter 22

Chapter 22: The victors crown

After dinner I head back to my room, I have a shower and wash off my makeup and wash my hair. When I get out I put on a dressing gown and crawl into bed. It feels weird being in a comfy bed, after all the uncomfortable nights in the arena.

When I wake up I find my prep team are already setting up their things in my room. They make me have another shower, then they wax my legs and eyebrows. Once I'm dressed and ready I'm led down to a car that will take me to the president's mansion for the crowning of the victors.

Once we are at the mansion we make our way up to the balcony. It feels weird walking around the Presidents mansion. I have 2 guards at each of my sides, I don't understand why, I mean I'm not a criminal or anything. Then I realise that I probably am seen as threatening, since I have just win the games. When I get to the balcony I spot Cato about 5 meters to my left also ready to go out. I have hardly spoke to him since the games ended and I just can't wait to get home so we can spend time together.

The president makes a few comments and then introduces us. I walk out and I know I'm being broadcast to the entire population of Panem. The roar of the crowd is deafening. President Snow takes the crown off the cushion and places it on my head. Then he does the same to Cato and then the anthem plays and we are lead out.

I'm allowed to go back to the training centre to get my ring and then, we are led straight to the train. Hundreds of Capitol people wave and cheer, me and Cato wave back. The train goes through the tunnel and when the train comes out of the tunnel, the cameras are out of sight, I take a sigh of relief and begin to relax.