Chapter seven: A discovery

Chapter seven:

A discovery

“No not really,” I stuttered. He came to the railing. A pleasant sea breeze ruffled his black hair. He reached up and placed a strand of my hair behind my ear. It took every muscle in my body not to shiver at his touch. “You feel alright Helena you look a bit red,” He asked. “I’m fine just hot,” I said. “You know we are docking in Rabat, Morocco in one day,” He said. “This time tomorrow we will be there,” “Is that so?” I asked. “Talon, how did you get involved with my father?” “It’s a long story,” He answered. “I’d love to hear it,” I said.

“Alright, I was about twelve when I met your father. I just passed him when I was running from a salesman, but I knew he was a pirate. That night I had gotten in a bar fight because the clerk thought I was stealing rum, which I was,” He said. I laughed a bit.

“Anyway I was fighting my way around, and then suddenly I heard this gunshot. The whole bar froze. I tried to run but Jumma caught me by the collar. He said ‘This one captain?’ Your father stared me over and nodded. I thought he was going to kill me. I struggled but as strong as Jumma is I couldn’t escape. We boarded the ship and he set me down but didn’t let me go. Your father was so kind to me. He said, ‘Boy I will make you a deal. I see potential in you. Join my crew and you can have all the rum, gold, and silver you want as long as you promise not to start any fights.’ I agreed and I haven’t left since,” He said. “Do you feel you owe a debt to my father?” I asked. “Yes, He saved my life. If not for me I would be dead or still on the streets,” He replied. “Helena in the moonlight you look absolutely stunning,” I looked at him. I didn’t know what to think. Was he drunk or serious? I looked at his handsome face.

His lips looked so perfect. He had dazzling amber eyes. He leaned in. I began to lean in. Then I got a hold of my senses and stopped. “It’s getting late. I need to get sleep,” I said. I backed away and hurried to my cabin. I shut the door behind me. I leaned against it. I placed my hand on my mouth and slid down to the floor. What the hell am I doing? I thought.

I fell asleep quickly. I awoke with the sound of Talon pounding on my door and yelling “Helena you need to get out here,” It sounded urgent. I put my coat, boots, sword, and pistol on. I rushed outside and the crew was looking over to another ship. Father was yelling to the captain on the other ship. I drew my sword and ran to the shrouds farthest from the ship. “Talon, follow me,” I whispered. He followed me climbing as quietly as he could. We reached the main mast sails. “Grab that rope and wait for my signal,” I whispered. He obeyed my orders. I grabbed a rope and watch the ship carefully.

Suddenly I heard father yell “KILL THEM ALL!” “Talon now hold on tight!” I shouted. I jumped off the sail and towards the other ship. Out of the corner of my eye Talon held tight and didn’t show a lick of fear. I landed on the other ship’s deck with a THUD!  Talon and I fought furiously against the other people. I slit chest, stomachs, and throats. Blood covered the tip of my sword. Suddenly everything stopped. The other men fell. I listened. I heard father give orders that the ship be taken of its belongings and then return to the Queen Anne’s revenge. I sheathed my sword and went into the captain’s cabin. Talon followed me. I searched every drawer every cabinet. We found the jack pot; gold, diamonds, silver, rubies, emeralds, and lots of other things. He piled them in the middle of the room and wrapped them in a Persian carpet. Talon carried them to the ship while I looked for more things.

I noticed something out of the ordinary. A stone elephant sat in the corner and its head was completely upside down. I walked over to it and twisted the head. The head fell off into my hands. I set it on the floor and looked inside. Scrolls were neatly tucked away in the hollow body of the elephant. I pulled one out and read it. It was a letter requesting the partnership of the Moroccan merchants from the East India Trading company. There was also a map of all the posts of the company in Africa and Europe. This would help plenty when we are on the run or have business to handle with them. I stuffed all the scrolls in my coat pocket and headed to the ship. I showed father the scrolls. He was very pleased with my discovery. He tucked them somewhere in his cabins.