Chapter twelve: For love or not

Chapter twelve:

For love or not

I rode alone around Alexandria and searched for some excitement. Cassia was happy to be off the ship and walking around. He was restless. He wanted to run across the city. “Alright boy one ride,” I said. I gave him a kick and he reared and sped across the sand. We left to the outside of the city. I could feel he was happy to be running. I felt the wind rush through my hair. I slowed Cassia down. We came to a walk. Cassia inhaled heavily. “Good boy” I said patting his neck. I walked farther and I focused on Talon. I couldn’t decide if he really loved me for me or for my looks. I was too distracted to notice the British soldiers in front of me. Cassia stopped in his tracks. I looked up and saw ten soldiers sitting upon horses.

“Helena Teach by order of his majesty you are coming with us to England,” One of them said. “I don’t think so mate,” I said. I turned and bolted for the city. They chased after me. Even though I was leaving them in the dust, but I could still see them. Suddenly I passed Talon. I could see he looked at me and then the soldier chasing me. He bolted after me and caught up to me. “What did you do Helena?” He asked. “Nothing they just told me I was going with them,” I answered. “We need to lead them away from the ship. If they see the flag we’re dead,” He understood and led the way. Talon had been to Alexandria and knew every crack and crevasse of this place.

He led me towards a bar. We quickly dismounted. I took Talon’s horse by the reins. I tied them to Cassia’s saddle. “Cassia, distract them until I whistle,” I said. By the look in his brown eyes I could tell he understood. I smacked his rump and he bolted off. I grabbed Talon by the arm and ran inside the bar. I ran behind the counter with Talon by my side. I sat down low so who ever entered couldn’t see me. “Talon, are they here?” I whispered. He peered around the bar.

“I don’t see them,” He said. I relaxed. Talon peered once more and his face was grim. “They’re ‘ere,” He said. I peered over the counter and saw three of the ten soldiers. “The rest must be following the horses,” I whispered. “What do they want with you?” He asked. “I don’t know they just came up to me and said I was to come with them,” I answered. The bar keeper looked at us funny. “Those soldiers are trying to kill us,” I told him. He looked at the soldier and then me. He nodded slowly then winked. He walked out from behind the bar and went up to the soldiers. He shouted in a different language angrily. The men backed away and were about out the door. One of them looked over the bar keepers soldier. I quickly ducked behind the bar. “I think he saw me,” I said. I took two pistols out of my belt. I checked inside my coat. I saw at least ten bombs, several knives, and other weapons. “How many weapons do you have in there?” Talon asked. “I loaded up after that incident in Morocco,” I said. “Oh yes when we raided the merchants and found assassins on board,” He said.

I found another pistol in my coat and tossed it to Talon. “You know how to use that thing?” I teased. He loaded the gun and waited for my signal. I pulled a bomb out of my coat. It was white and had an ‘X’ on it. “See these smoke bombs. When they explode they release smoke making it impossible to see,” I said. I found the bar keeper. “Get rid of the people make sure the soldiers stay here,” I said. I saw the tattoo on his wrist. It was a skull and cross bones. He saw my gaze and winked. He was one of us. He shooed all the people out of the bar. The soldier sat at a table in the corner of the room. I scratched the bomb across my chest and it sparked. I rolled it towards their table. They stared at the bomb and it exploded. Grey smoked spread all through the bar. “Move out,” I said.

I went to the left and Talon the right. I held the pistols tight and walked towards the table. I heard the soldiers panicking. When the smoke cleared we had out pistols to their heads. “Who are you and what do you want with me?” I asked. “We are here to take you to England and to his majesty,” One replied. “Why does he want me?” I asked. Just as he was about to answer the other soldiers came in. “Damn it,” I said. I shot one who just came in and dodged behind the bar. Talon followed. I threw another smoke bomb. “Go through the back,” The bar keeper said. We rushed to the back and climbed up the ladder we were on the roof. I whistled and my black stallion showed up. “Ready to jump?” I asked. “What?” Talon said. I grabbed his hand and we jumped off. I landed on Cassia and Talon on his horse. We ran off to the ship. We reached the ship and everyone was on board. I jumped off and ran to the helm. “All hands on deck! Prepare to set sail! Untie the sails you cat-headed deck apes!” I said.

The men scurried about and ran up the shrouds. I saw the soldiers coming. “You worthless pieces of shit hurry up! Raise the anchors!” I shouted. “What is happening?” Jumma asked. “British soldiers are after us,” I said. He ran down to the deck and helped the men. I didn’t see father in sight. He must have been hung-over. The sails unfurled and took the wind. The ship moved out of the dock and towards open water. I saw the soldiers waiting on the dock. I heard them curse to themselves as they watched us sail away. Talon joined me by my side. “You are pretty good captain. Half the men nearly fell on their backside when you charged to the helm and barked orders,” He said. “Talon I must ask you something,” I said. He looked at me. “It’s a silly question but do you care for me?” I asked. He looked a bit stunned. I could see he was thinking. “Of course I do. You are the most important person to me in the world,” He whispered. He didn’t want the crew to overhear our conversation.

I smiled and watched him leave to his duties. I touched the golden coin medallion around my neck. My father said it was my mothers. I knew if I told him about me and Talon he would be crushed. I couldn’t help but think if I told my father he would kill Talon. Never the less I was in love. But the love Talon and I shared made something nag at the back of my head. It was like it was all a dream and not reality. Almost as if his sweet words were hollow on the inside.