Chapter ten: Running from the British

Chapter ten:

Running from the British

We landed in Cape Verda and found lots of food venders for the crew. The crew was tired of stale bread and just plain rum. Well more like just stale bread. The crew fanned out searching for food. Talon and I rode around looking for something good. We found a tavern with a delicious smell of roasted meat. We instantly got a table and ordered their best meats. Talon had a wonderful time. He tricked the bar maid into giving us six free bottles of rum plus a whole roasted pig.

Thankfully father had to stay with Jacoby. Talon said he wanted alone time with me. I would have jumped up and done and said yes, but I need to be careful. Instead I just told him that would be alright. I have noticed since I have been taking a fancy to Talon my tough exterior is starting to melt. You need to stay focused. Even though you are with him remain yourself; tough and alert. I thought. After the Tavern we raided the market. He stole many things. Mostly gold and diamond, but we made quite a profit. I and he had raided some many times in the last two ports that finally my cabin was filled with gold, diamonds, jade, silver, and many other things.

I enjoyed being with Talon, but he melted my tough exterior and brought out the lust and lover in me. I didn’t like but I couldn’t help it. In the middle of our trip Talon stopped dead in his tracks. “What is it?” I asked. He pointed to a cart filled with many different swords. He pointed at a certain sword with a bright silver blade and a perfect brown leather hilt. Carved into the blade were sea waves. “I would kill for something like that,” He said. I could tell he would love to possess that sword. “I think I can get it,” I said. “Really? Take a look. That cart is owned by the East India Trading company. The second we went over there he would have me arrested,” He argued. “Two things, one I am new to the crew and he doesn’t know I am a pirate. Two I am a woman I think I can persuade him after a cup or two of wine,” I said. I told him the plan.

The whole time we were stealing from the other venders I saw him go on break to a nearby tavern. “We will wait in the tavern, and the next time he went on break I will use my charm on him. Savvy?” I said. He loved the plan. He nodded. I led the way to the tavern. It was close enough to see the man’s cart. I sat separated from Talon so I didn’t raise suspicions when I got up and sat with another man. Just as I sat on a table in the corner the gentleman walked in and sat three tables away from me. I waited until he had at least three cups of wine. I walked over to him and sat down. “Hello there handsome. My name is Cathleen. What is yours?” I said in a seducing voice. He got a devilish look on his face and sat forward. “I’m Edward. You are very beautiful. What is someone like you doing here?” he asked. “Just passing by, how about we take this more private if you know what I mean,” I said.

I said it as I flipped my hair. Talon stood up and left. He was going to the cart to steal the sword. “I have the perfect place, in the back,” He said. He grabbed my hand and rushed away. I just had to keep him long enough for Talon to get the sword. I had to give Talon three minutes before I got out of there. Apparently the fellow three glasses of wine is a lot. The second we hit the room he pressed me against the wall and kissed me. I pretended to enjoy it by hugging his neck and kissing back. He then moved down to my neck. I rolled my eyes. Men they think they can do whatever they want drunk or not. I thought.

I then realized that this was getting to serious. I slipped out of his grip. “I am sorry sir but I must go before my ship leaves,” I said. I rushed out of there before he grabbed me and pulled me back in. I ran outside and saw Talon. He held the sword in his hands. He smiled brightly. He looked up at me. His smile faded. I heard the yell of that man. “Shit,” I said. “Apparently they all want more,” Talon teased. “Now is not the time Talon. Grab the horses before he catches up,” I ordered. He sheathed the sword and grabbed Cassia. I leaped him and ran. Luckily the man was too drunk to run, ride his horse, or remember my face.

The Queen Anne’s revenge was taking off. I am guessing father didn’t realize we were not on. “Talon I need you to trust me,” I called. “Alright, trust you on what?” He asked. “See that ramp; follow me onto it and when I say, jump to the ship,” I yelled. “You’re mad!” He yelled. “Thank goodness for that cause if I wasn’t, we probably both be dead,” I answered. I raced for the ramp that led to the roof tops. This is the second time I have pulled this stunt. Hopefully the lord helps me again along with Talon. I sprinted onto the ramp with Talon behind me.

“Ready?” I called. “Whenever you are Helena,” He replied. At that moment Cassia jumped. Everything moved in slow motion. I looked behind me. Talon’s white horse was in mid jump. I looked on deck the crew scattered to the sides. I never realized how high the building was. I was so high in the air I could jump off and land on the cross beams. Suddenly I realized that when Cassia landed he would break his leg or worse with my weight. In an impulse I stood up on Cassia’s saddle and jumped for the ropes that hung loose on the cross beams. My mind raced. I was insane. If I lived the next port if there was a catholic church I would go there and give offerings of a huge diamond to the church.

God smiled on me as I grabbed the ropes. I swung barely missing the mast. I looked and saw Cassia and Talon land safely on the deck. I slowly lowered myself down the rope to the deck. When my legs hit the floor they felt wobbly. I have yet again done the impossible. An average girl from Spain has done the impossible. How is this possible? I thought. Talon rushed over to me and caught me as I fell. He slung my arm over his shoulders and wrapped his arm around my waist. Just as he did father ran out shouting. “What is all the noise out…? Helena, what happened?” Father asked changing from angry to concern. “I will tell you. The ship was leaving and Talon and I jumped on the ship,” I hissed. I was cross with him. What was wrong with father? He tried to leave without us. Did he even bother to check to find us?

“Jacoby, take these horses to the stables. Talon, take her to her cabin. The rest of you back to your posts,” Father ordered. He retreated to his rooms and Talon dragged me to my room. He set me on the bed and grabbed the rum bottle that I had lying around. He took a drink then handed it to me. “I don’t know how you do that. I feel wobbly and sick,” He said. He did look a bit queasy. “Here lay down. You look a bit green around the gills,” I said. My wobbly legs were now steady. He flopped on the bed and stared at the ceiling. “So how was your first jump?” I teased. “Terrible. Everything moved in slow motion. I felt like I was going to be sick,” He said.

I sat on the bed. He sat up. I smiled at him. He looked pale but his face was still very handsome. He leaned in and kissed me. He moved to my neck. “Easy king of thieves,” I said. He leaned back laughing. “You have a good sense of humor,” He laughed. “Tell me why do men kiss women’s neck?” I asked. “We kiss your necks to make you shiver with delight. Also we get tired of you trying to talk while we kiss your mouth,” He teased. I punched his shoulder. I knew he was serious but I could tell he was kidding on the last part. He leaned in and kissed me again. I loved it when he kissed me. I hated it when my walls where let down but they were let down for a good reason.

I heard a knock at the door. “Quick switch places with me,” I whispered. He stood up and leaned on the far wall. I slipped back under the covers. Just as I did father came in. He sighed with relief. He set his hat down on the night stand and kneeled at my bed. “Thank the lord almighty you didn’t kill yourself,” He said kissing my hand “I just came to check on you. Talon you can leave now,” “NO, I mean I might need his help later so I don’t want him too far,” I said. Father gave me a weird look. I smiled at him. He simply shrugged, kissed me on the head, grabbed his hat, and left. I sat up and let Talon sit on the bed.

I smiled at him. He leaned in and kissed me. There was a holler out on deck. He stopped kissing and smiled. “Shall we go out on deck?” He said standing offering me his arm. I laughed. I stood up and took it. We walked out and I slipped my arm off of his. I looked out in the ocean and saw a little row boat.