Chapter fifteen: Betrayal

Chapter fifteen:

Betrayal

The night we docked no one left the ship for three days. The royal guards where on the hunt for any of the crew. London was almost crawling with soldiers. Father had healed and now at the helm as Captain. To be honest I missed being captain. I didn't mind after a while. Finally when the search parties had given up we emerged from the ship and onto shore. Jacoby was happy to be on land where there was more rum and women.

The night was cold so the men all clambered into a tavern. Most went to an inn with women on their arms. My father looked like himself. His face was no longer pale and his fever disappeared. He looked like he was never ill. I heard his hearty laugh across the room. Talon, Jacoby, Jumma, and I sat a table and played dice. Jacoby got up and went for a bottle of rum. Suddenly I heard a clatter. The music stopped and I turned to see Jacoby on the floor. His hand was rubbing a spot on his head where a broken bottle had cracked over it. Suddenly an all-time bar fight broke out. We joined in trying to save Jacoby's ass. I sword fought with a guy. He fell to his knees, so I kicked him over, forcing him to tumble into others. I back against a pillar. Talon was on the other side. "How you are holding up?" He asked. "Pretty well, but unlike Jacoby," I said and punched a guy in the eye, "I know how to handle a fight." Talon laughed. Across the room I heard my father's laughter. He was enjoying the rush of a good bar fight.

The bar fight ended when the soldiers appeared and we rushed out. Talon wandered off while I stayed with the crew. Father wrapped and arm around my shoulders. "Ah Helena that was the best bar fight your father has seen in a long time," He laughed. "Where's Talon?" Jacoby asked. Father looked around. "Helena, go find the boy. He's probably drunk and lost his way," Father ordered. "Aye Captain" I replied and ran off. I walked along when I heard his voice. I came to an ally. I ducked behind a barrel when I saw he was with someone. "I have been waiting Talon. What has taken you so long?" A woman asked. "I have been at sea love," Talon said. "I missed you dear. You didn't meet anyone else did you?" She asked. "Yes I did" He said. I heard a slap. "I thought you loved me!" She exclaimed.

"I do love you Alice," I heard him say. My heart dropped. I felt a welt form in my throat. My vision blurred as I held back the tears. "He doesn't....Doesn't love me," I whispered. The tears fell as I shot up making the barrel tip over and clatter to the stone ground. I quickly made my way to the ship. I heard footsteps running towards me. "Helena, wait" Talon said. He rushed in front of me and stopped me. I looked down at the ground. The tears burned with anger. He looked at my face. "What is wrong?" He asked. I looked up at him. My cheeks went warm as they turned red. "Why don't you ask Alice!" I shouted. I stormed past him. He didn't chase after me. I reached the ship and barricaded myself in my cabin.

I buried my face in my pillow. My tears stained the fabric. "It was all a lie," I said. The words were muffled into the pillow. I heard a knock at the door. "Helena, are you alright?" My father asked me. "Yes I'm fine," I answered wiping my tears away. He walked in and sat on the bed. He didn't wear his coat or hat. I had noticed that almost everything my father wore was black. "You seem upset. Is something wrong?" He asked.

"No I was just wondering. When did you first meet mother?" I asked. "Well I was a young lad. I had just been made Captain of this ship. We docked in Spain and I was walking through the dead of night. The rest of the crew was on the ship ready to leave, but I had to look at what I heard was a town of sweet and spicy women," He said. "Anyway I am walking when I hear a woman scream in terror. I ran and saw two men attack her. I raced in and realized they were soldiers. Long story short I killed them and took her to the ship. After that I and your mother lived together on the high seas," I smiled. "Thanks," I said. "You're welcome, night Helena," He said. He stood up and left. I fell asleep. I awoke and realized what happened. Anger burned in my throat. I went below deck and saddled Cassia. As I left I heard Talon chasing after me. "Helena, wait," He shouted. I ignored him and mounted. I galloped away and went into the market. I dismounted and walked around. I walked to an abandoned street. The only things there were some horses and wandering dogs.

I looked at all the warrants on the wall. I saw my father. He was depicted exactly how he looked except his beard was longer and so was his hair. I found every crew member. To my surprise I was on there. The title read 'Helena Heaven's Demon'. I like the name. Suddenly I was hit in the back of the head. The reins fell from my hand and I fell to the ground. I heard Cassia run off. I felt two men grab my arms and drag me away. The last thing I saw was Cassia running and then darkness.