Chapter nineteen: An adventure ends and a new begins

Chapter nineteen:

An adventure ends and a new begins

My father lay on his back. A white linen bandage wrapped around his stomach. Jumma and Axon leaned against a post. I went to my father’s side. “That damn bastard tried to kill me,” He said sitting up. I realized how close my father was to death. If he had stayed a second longer on deck he would be dead right now. I hugged his neck tight. “I thought you died,” I said. I fought tears. “I am fine,” He said. He let go of me and looked at me.

“He will be fine he will just be sore for a few days,” Jumma said. Father slowly made his way off the bench and up the stairs. He was in pain, but had the strength to make it to the helm. Thomas was tied up and held by Richards who was a gunner. Richards face was black with smoke and gunpowder. At the bottom of the stairs I saw Ferdinand. He had a little blood dotted on his face. Then I saw Sarah standing next to Jacoby. Jacoby was about to wrap an arm around her waist. I glanced at him and he re-coiled his arm. “Men, I have been your captain since most of you have been young lads. I have seen old faces go and new faces arrive,” My father shouted. “I look at these rat ass faces” The men began to laugh. “And I see a bright future for this ship. I am sad to say that I will no longer be your captain,” I looked at my father. The crew whispered in confusion. “I have grown too old and I will leave you in the hands of someone who is younger tougher and will help you pirates teach those bastards a lesson,” My father shouted. He pointed to the tied up prince. The men cheered to hear the new captain.

“I leave my ship and you men to my daughter,” He said. I stepped forward and all the men cheered. “And her new husband Talon Matthews,” My father added. Talon joined my side. “What are you going to do while we are captaining the ship?” I asked. “I will live on the ship. I will still sail with you just not be captain,” He said. I hugged his neck. My father was giving everything he owns to me. He trusted me with everything, his position in Shipwreck cove, his ship and crew, everything.

“Thank you” I said. He held me tight. “You are ready for this,” He said. He let me go and I faced the crew with Talon by my side. They all cheered for us. “Are you sure she is ready for this?” Jumma asked my father behind me. “All her life she has been preparing herself. She made sure her enemies did not see her fear, her anger, or her tears. She is my successor and she will do great for this ship,” My father said. I looked to Talon. He smiled down at me, his warm brown eyes melting away my heart. “Is this not everything you wanted?” I asked. He wrapped and arm around my waist and pulled me close to him. “Not everything” He said. He pulled me into a kiss. We pulled away when my father cleared his throat rather loud. I laughed. “You may be married, but I’m still your father,” He said. I shook my head at him. Jacoby ran up the stairs and came to me. “Orders Captain” He asked. I pulled away from Talon and when to the top of the stairs. The men were silent as they waited for my orders. “All hands make sail for Tortuga!” I shouted. The men cheered and scrambled about. And then began my rein as Captain Helena Matthews.