Chapter fourteen: Spain

Chapter fourteen:

Spain

We docked in Spain after a week at sea. I ordered the men to resupply before they went to any tavern. Thankfully they followed my orders. That night we sat in a tavern. I heard the men’s laughter all over the place. “So Helena how’s being Captain treating you?” Jacoby asked. “Suits me well” I said. I played a round of dice. I never realized how good it felt to be Captain of a crew. I left the men and went to a Catholic church. I placed a ruby ring in the hands of a priest. “The lord has saved my life and I give him this gift out of my pocket,” I said. He thanked me with such gratefulness in his voice. I left and found the men where I left them. I went to the table and found Talon had disappeared. “What happened to Talon?” I asked. “He went somewhere. He didn’t say,” Jumma answered. “Are you in Captain?” “No I think I will head back to the in,” I said. “We’ll meet you there. See you tomorrow Captain,” Jumma said.

I walked to the inn and fell on my bed. “You look tired,” I heard someone laugh. I sat up and looked at the door Talon stood in the corner. He walked towards me and sat next to me. “Where did you go?” I asked. “You know me I am one to wonder,” He said. I rolled my eyes. “I am heading to bed. So get out,” I said. He left to his room. I heard a stumbling drunk crew a few minutes later. Some of them slammed against my door and the walls. I fell asleep and dreamt of the high seas. Suddenly I woke. I heard a clatter and then whispers.

I grabbed my pistol that sat on the table next to the bed. I carefully lite the candle and looked around the room. Nothing was there. I stood up and pressed my ear to the door. I heard whispering just outside the door. I set the candle down on the floor and grabbed my second pistol. I took a breath and swung the door open. I pointed my pistols at a young boy. He gave a frightened yelp. I put them away. “What are you doing here boy?” I asked. “Can I come in?” He asked. I nodded. He cautiously walked in and sat on the bed. “I have come to…. um?” He stumbled. I could tell he didn’t speak very much English. “What is it that you want?” I asked in Spanish.

 “I want to join your crew,” He replied in his native tongue. I laughed. “You are too young to be sailing with pirates,” I said. “I am ten years old!” He exclaimed. “I have sailed before I think I can make it,” “Well can you shot?” I asked. I pointed a pistol at his head. He swallowed hard and shook his head. “Can you use a sword?” I asked pulling my sword out. I held it to his throat for a second and put it away. “Please Captain. I have nowhere to go. My parents are dead and I can’t live in the church,” He pleaded. “Why not the church?” I asked sitting on the bed. “I try to live there but I can’t help it when I see the fresh gold that comes into the church. I take one coin and they beat me,” He said. I saw out of the dim candle light a black eye.

“I guess they beat me because that’s the money they spend on prostitutes and wine,” He said. “Wait a minute hang on. They spend their offerings on women and drink?” I asked. He nodded, “That’s also why they don’t like me. I’m the only orphan that knows about their secrets,” “Which church is it?” I asked. “They are the ones with the preachers that wear only gold and red robes,” He said. I knew that church. I had passed it on my way to the inn. The preachers like to spoil themselves on the gold and jewels offered. “What’s your name boy?” I finally asked after a moment of silence. “Ferdinand” He answered. We talked a bit and then let him on the crew as a cabin boy.

The next morning he scurried off to the ship while the stumbling crew followed after him. They were all hung over and still a bit drunk. Jacoby was the worst. He couldn’t walk a step without falling. “I guess they can’t handle Spanish wine,” I laughed. Talon laughed and walked on. The only crew that wasn’t drunk was me, Talon, and Jumma. Jumma finally slung Jacoby over one of the cattle we acquired. I felt in my pocket a bag of herbs, the medicine that would heal my father. All I had to do was put it in his drink every day until the bag ran out or he felt better. “Ferdinand, come with me,” I ordered. Ferdinand followed me to my father’s cabins.

“This is the real Captain. Captain Blackbeard. I am his daughter,” I told him. He sat at the foot of the bed. My father sat up. “Who is this lad?” He asked. “This is Ferdinand. He will give you this medicine,” I said. My father nodded at him in greetings. “You are truly Captain Blackbeard?” Ferdinand asked in excitement. “Yes I am,” My father laughed. “Ferdinand, put a palms worth of herbs in his drink every day until you run out,” I ordered. “Aye captain” Ferdinand said. Ferdinand and I left and he ran off below deck. I went to the helm to find Jumma.

The crew sobered up and we shoved off. “Where to?” Jumma asked again. “France” I ordered. “Then afterwards England,” A week passed when we reached France. France wasn’t much so we left to England. Little did I know England would change my life.