10.

I turned the lights on and threw my shoes off. In the back of my mind I reminded myself that no matter what my mom had to say, nothing could ruin my mood. Nothing could ruin the high I was on; the high of finally being able to have a best friend again.

Ari and I had both bought one pair of heels, two dresses, five jeans, and around seven new shirts. I had thanked her a thousand times and told her she didn’t have to pay this all for me, but she insisted on it. She told me that she would gladly do this all for the person who made her life a little brighter. That sentence hit me, simply because it meant that before this, she didn’t have anyone. I was curious about her life, her struggles and ambitions. I knew that soon enough we would have the serious talks and it scared me. It scared me because I would have to tell a part of myself too.

I silently walked into the living room, it was seven in the evening already, and only came face to face with my mother who was seated in one of the chairs around the dining table. She had prepared our food and everything was laid down perfectly, like it always did. I only didn’t expect her to make this, especially because she never cooked.

Her eyes fell on me and I could see a hint of adoration in her eyes, until her eyes landed on the bags I still had in my hand. Her eyes hardened and she crossed her arms over her chest, with the familiar ‘what did you do now’ look appearing on her face. I sighed and put the bags on the couch before walking over to the table and sitting down on the chair right in front of her.

‘Where did you get all those clothes from?’ she asked, her voice icy cold as always.

I hid my hands under the table and clamped them together to prevent them from shaking. I dared to stare in her eyes, but that might have been the wrong move, because my mouth was immediately tied shut.

‘Victoria, I asked you something,’ she pressured. ‘And when I ask something, you are obligated to answer me.’

I nodded my head and then breathed out. ‘They are from the mall,’ I replied, my voice small and weak. It sounded pathetic.

Her eyes squinted together and she leaned in closer to me over the table. ‘Did you steal them?’

I shook my head. Of course she had to think that of me. ‘No mother,’ I said with more power in my voice now. ‘I ran into Ari at the mall and she insisted on buying these clothes for me.’

My mother leaned back in her chair and nodded her head approvingly.
‘Ari huh? Isn’t she that girl from the competition?’

I nodded my head and a smile broke through on my face. ‘Yes she is and I absolutely adore her. She is the sweetest girl ever, I tell you.’

My mom nodded and moved her stare from me to the window. She seemed lost; like the hardships of live had finally caught up to her.

‘Don’t get too close to your competition, they might destroy you,’ she mumbled, but not necessarily to me. It sounded like she was talking to herself more. Then she suddenly snapped out of her weird haze and looked back to me. She gestured for me to pick up my fork and spoon and dig in.

I looked down at the food and smiled. Right in front of me was the only thing my mom could properly cook. Noodles. I shook my head and for the first time in ages, I could genuinely smile about my mother.