12 | Snow

song: time of our lives // pit bull, ne-yo •

A paper ball is thrown on my desk in the middle of Murray's class, right before we start analising Shakespeare's Machbeth. I turn in my chair and catch a glimpse of Ren's face, who's urging me to unfold the paper.

Carefully, not wanting to be seen, I open it, watching out for Murray's hawk-like eyes.

Party tday @Car's? gonna be a blast ;)

I bite my lip in thinking. Firstly, who the hell is Car? Also, there will probably be lots of cool people I don't know. Plus, I might get lost in the crowd, unable to find my way back home. Not to mention that someone could hit on me, which is super uncomfortable.

Another paper ball lands on my desk.

can practically sense you debating in ur head so staph thinking and say yes

Something about the demanding tone in the message makes me re-think the decision. I'll definitely have to lie to Sophie about going over to a friend's house for a quiet night. And she'll insist on taking me there, wanting to check if I was telling the truth.

Sighing, I scribble down the answer.

'kay, don't be pushy gee
but I'll have to come b4 the actual thing starts bc Sophie's driving me & she's not expecting me to have a blast

I wait for Murray to turn to the board and throw it to her, watching her soft eyes skim over the lines. She looks up and gives me thumbs up, quickly looking down to her worksheet. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. Why did she suddenly break the-

"Khm khm."

I freeze on the spot, slowly meeting the eye of my bald teacher. I offer him a weak smile, my face reddening under his piercing stare.

"Um, hi there sir. Didn't see ya creepin' up on me like that."

The classroom erupts in loud whispers, some shocked by my bluntness and others amused by Murray's face. It looks like Thor came down from Asgard and slammed it in his face, leaving him speachless for a moment.

His eyes narrow at me and I slump lower in my chair, hiding my chin under the collar of my white shirt.

"Detention, Miss Matthews. To talk like that on my class, is simply not tolerable. And please, for God's sake, drop that terrible accent of yours already. If you need someone to help you with it, there are plenty of students in here. I don't want to be part of a dialogue like this ever again. As if you came from The Pickup Artist!" he scoffs, going back to the lesson and ignoring me for the rest of the class.

Fine by me. Could've been a lot worse.

"Man I'm done with my life."

"You say that every time someone humiliates you in public."

"Shut up. I'm serious."

"That's new."

"Quit it idiot. What am I supposed to wear to this? I'm kinda having a hard time between a dress and cargo pants," I show it to the camera, watching his forehead crinkle. "You don't like it?"

"Don't like is an understatement. It's horrible. Those cargo pants would look better if this were a hiking trip."

"You're impossible."

"So they tell me."

"What do you do without me anyway? Wander the halls aimelessly and stalk cute girls in your Math class?"