Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Eliza was very grateful that Danny led her through a small back door into the castle. He took her back to a small parlour, and Eliza was pleased to see that her parents were not there.

Eliza sat between Andrew and Oliver.

"Are you okay?" Andrew asked when she had sat down. The tear streaks on her face were obvious.

"Yes, just shocked and confused," she replied. "Do you know who it is that I am supposed to marry?"

"No, I'm not sure. You will have to ask mother or father." Andrew said.

"What is your future wife like?" she asked. Danny had told her that they would explain.

"Well, I don't really know what she is like. She is from a faraway kingdom, and other than a visit from her when we were eleven, I haven't seen her. She will be coming next year for our wedding." Andrew told her.

"But that is awful, what if she is horrible?" Eliza asked.

"Well, that is a fear. But I don't think she is. We have written letters, and he seems rather lovely," he told her.

"What about you, Rachel?" Eliza asked.

"Well, the man I was engaged to died a few years ago. It's okay though, as I didn't even know him." She said.

"So, who will you marry?"

"I will get to choose myself." She smiled slightly.

"And what about you, Oliver."

"That was actually announced after you left. I am to meet my future wife very soon. Her family and she will be visiting for Christmas."

"And Sophia?"

"Mother and Father never found anyone for her. They had realised by that point how awful it is to have to marry someone whom you don't know" Andrew answered for her.

"I-I can't believe that this is happening," Eliza said.

"I know that it sounds awful, but it might not be so bad. Mother and father had never met before they were married. They first saw each other on the wedding day. And they are happy together." Andrew said, softly.

"Was the contract not broken when I went missing? Surely he would not have wanted to be engaged to someone who disappeared." Eliza was searching for a way out.

"Apparently not." Was the reply from Andrew. The truth in his words hit Eliza hard.

"You should go and talk to mother and father. I am sure that they would tell you everything that you want to know." Rachel said.

"I don't want to talk to them yet. I don't think I can," Eliza said.

"Are you angry at them?" Rachel asked, slightly shocked.

Eliza turned to her with a confused expression. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well, they're our parents."

"But I still hardly know them," Eliza replied, looking at the floor. She couldn't meet any of her siblings' eyes. "I still feel that I have only just got here, and they are already trying to get rid of me."

"But that isn't true. They haven't got a choice in the matter," Rachel defended.

Eliza sighed.

"I'll go and see them tomorrow." She finally agreed, ignoring the worried expression on Rachel's face.

***

Seeing his sister so hurt made Danny upset. She didn't deserve this. In fact, no one did.

He didn't know if his parents expected Eliza's reaction to be less extreme. It was life changing news, after all. And Eliza was never keen on the idea of marrying someone whom she didn't know. Even at the tender age of seven, Eliza had dreamed of her fairy-tale ending.

*

"Won't you read it again?" A young princess Elizabeth asked their nanny.

"But she only read it to us yesterday!" seven-year-old Danny complained. "I don't understand why you like it so much!"

"Because she's a princess, just like me. And she falls in love with a wonderful prince!" Eliza sighed at her twin brother. "You just wouldn't understand! You're a boy! Mother said that boys just don't understand!"

"That is not true, Elizabeth. Besides, I am sure when your brother is older he will understand perfectly well." Their nanny told them.

Eliza frowned. "Please, may you read us the story?"

"Okay," their nanny said, as she opened up the worn out pages.

When she was finished, Eliza had a dreamy look on her face.

"When I am grown up I want to fall in love just like that," Eliza informed them.

"When you are older, you will have to marry whomever your parent want you to." The nanny said, a sad smile on her face. She felt bad for the poor children who already had their future decided for them.

"Well, I hope they will change their minds. I want to marry whomever I choose," Eliza said, matter-of-factly.

"Well, I hope so too dear. But you ever know, you might fall in love with whoever you must marry."

"No, I won't!" Eliza refused.

"Well, I already love Heather," Danny said, grinning widely. Heather was the girl set to be Daniel's wife. She was a year younger than the twins, but they were close friends.

"You're too young to love her! Eliza told him.

"No, I am not." He argued. "She is my best friend!"

*

Eliza just sighed at her brother.

Danny smiled at the memory. Even back then, before she was torn away from him, she had decided that she would fall in love herself. She had never been one for traditions, and everyone had known that Eliza would be the one most likely to fight back.

And that was exactly what she was doing.

A/N- I'm not too sure what I think about this chapter, so lease let me know what you think.

I'll add in an extra update if  get lots of comments/ votes. I think the next chapter is better than this (and it should be longer)!!

Please follow my new Instagram account (thelittlemissreader)

Thanks people XX