Final Chapter!

Chapter 26

"James," Eliza called as she reached the top of the hill. It was a steep climb, but that didn't bother her at all.

James's head whipped up so fast that it was surprising that his head was still attached.

They stared at each other for a moment, and when James looked away he could still feel a burning hole from her eyes.

She sat down beside him and brought her legs up to her chest, the long skirts of the wedding dress restricting her ever so slightly. It was clear they would have grass stains on them later.

"You look beautiful," James began, but he still stared intently at the ground.

"Thank you," she replied with a soft smile. "Are you alright, James?"

"What do you think?" he asked harshly, before blushing. "I'm sorry. It isn't an easy day."

They fell into silence once again. The sun was beginning to set, soft colours filling the sky. A bird could be heard in the distance, calling out to its friends.

"Why aren't you with your," he paused. "Husband?"

Eliza sighed in relief. His stiff posture and unwelcoming stance were not because he was angry at her. He thought she was a married woman.

Eliza giggled causing James's eyes to snap in her direction. He looked hurt. Heartbroken even.

"I haven't married Jackson. In fact, I never have to marry him."

Disbelief filled his face, but it was soon taken over by a large smile.

Eliza looked into his eyes and smiled the most genuine smile she ever had. His gaze was intense, filled with admiration. His dark hair was flat against his forehead, and his cheeks were flushed from the cold air.

"I don't understand. Did you find a way out?" he asked, taking her hand in is and clutching it tightly.

"Something like that," she replied, looking at their entwined hands. It was hard not to notice his thumb gently rubbing circles. "It turns out, Jackson isn't so bad after all."

"I still find that difficult to believe." With his spare hand, he pushed a piece of hair out of her face. His hand lingered on her cheek for a moment.

"It's true. Jackson was in love with another woman." Eliza told him.

"It's his loss. But who was the woman?" James's curious eyes caused Eliza to smirk.

"Do you remember Arabella? The young lady from his kingdom?" the princess questioned.

"How could I forget? She was so beautiful."

James slashed Eliza's hand away when she tried to hit his arm. He nervously looked at her glaring face and relaxed when she smirked.

"So, what happened? You are wearing your wedding dress, after all." James asked.

"He left it rather last minute. And his announcement that he wouldn't marry me caused quite a chaotic scene. We had to run away."

"We?" James asked, jealousy clouding his face.

"Jackson left to find Arabella. And to reverse the contract." Eliza grinned again as she thought about that moment when she had first realised that Jackson wasn't joking.

"And you didn't think to get changed into something more suitable for riding, first?" he smirked.

"I didn't have time. We ran to the stables, jumped on our horses, and galloped away."

"Well, your dress is wonderful," he winked at her. "So you didn't see your family?"

"No. But I'm sure they would have supported me. I was with a guard, so they can't say that I've disappeared." She laughed at the irony of the statement.

Eliza shivered as a cool blast of wind whirled past her. Taking his cloak off, James wrapped it around her shoulders.

"It doesn't seem real."

James looked deeply into her eyes, and before she knew what was happening, she felt his lips upon hers. It was an odd feeling, but her heart seemed to melt at that very moment.

Eliza pulled away ever so slightly, her face lit up with a bright energy.

"It definitely is real."

James pulled her close to him, his arms wrapped around her waist. His lips were soon on hers again. It was a protective move, and Eliza felt like she didn't belong anywhere else.

***

Eliza was leant against James, his arm circling her waist. The sun was about to disappear, leaving a quickly darkening sky in its path.

Neither of them said anything, they were just revelling in the comfort of one another.

"You know, I think fell in love with you that night of the party in Grea." He spoke quietly, almost whispering in her ear. Eliza shivered as she felt his warm breath on the back of her neck.

Eliza looked up at him in shock. "You did?"

"You were watching so innocently, and your face was full of hurt. And your day dress was nothing compared to the ridiculous ball gowns in the town hall. But after I saw you I didn't notice anyone else. You were just so beautiful." He murmured.

Eliza thought about it. She had no idea that he even gave her a second glance at that time.

They sat in silence for another few moments, watching the stars slowly come out. The moon had just appeared and was growing brighter in the dull sky.

"Do you think you might want to marry a poor villager?" James suddenly asked, his lips wearing a cheeky smirk. Eliza whipped her head around so fast.

Eliza grinned.

"Shouldn't you ask my father first? That does seem to be the tradition." Her eyes sparkled with humour.

"I don't think that matters anymore."

They sat staring at each other, James clutching Elle's hand tightly in his own.

"So, what do you think? Will you marry me, Elle?"

Eliza looked out over the hill. Her favourite spot as a child, where she would dream of the impossible. But the impossible was possible now, and she would do all she could to embrace it.

"Yes."

And in that moment, sat atop a hill so full of memories, Eliza had finally reached out and grabbed her happily ever after.

THE END

***

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR COMING ON THIS JOURNEY WITH ME! I LOVE EVERY INGLE ONE OF YOU.  EACH VOTE, COMMENT AND  MESSAGE HAVE MEANT THE WOLD TO ME. I WILL MISS YOU!

Please let me know what you thought. Are you satisfied with this ending? Eliza and James finally got to kiss!!

And if you could drop a little vote I will be eternally grateful.

What do you all think I should write next? Let me know your ideas.   :) And FOLLOW ME to find out what I'm working on 

Thanks for all of the comments telling me to get well! I have been in and out of hospital, but the test results all look good. 

Much love until next time,

TheLittleMissReader :)