Chapter 19

Sorry for the wait! I have been really busy with school, and I have also been ill recently so I haven't had any time!

The writing contest is still open!!!! Don't forget to send in your entries!

If I get lots of comments I will try to update soon Xx

Enjoy :)

Chapter 19

Christmas was approaching with an alarming speed. Each day, much to the dismay of Eliza was bringing the New Year closer and closer. The castle was being decked out with Christmas decorations, and the entire place had been adorned for the much-awaited winter ball.

The first snow had arrived, leaving the gardens a pure white colour. Icicles lined the windows, and the lake had completely frozen over. It seemed to sparkle in the pale sunlight.

From Princess Eliza's vantage point at the library window, it looked like the most beautiful thing it the kingdom. Yes, the trees were barren and there were no flowers, but the blanket of snow glistened in the December sun.

Eliza was sat reading a book, but she hadn't turned the page in a while; she was too fascinated with the outside world.

"I thought I'd find you in here," Danny said, snapping her out of her trance. She looked up at him.

He was stood across the library, next to the fireplace where a fire was burning. The flames flickered from the draft from the now open door.

"Where else would I spend my day?" she asked with a grin.

"Well, you're supposed to be getting ready for tonight. Mother is not happy that you disappeared."

Eliza sighed and closed the pages of her book.

"I have been instructed that I must escort you back, and not let you leave my sight once. You can probably tell that mother is rather stressed." He laughed.

She jumped down from her chair and followed her brother out of the room. Her soft footsteps echoed through the hallway as she hurried to keep up with Danny's fast pace.

***

The rest of the day passed agonisingly slowly. But Eliza was certainly pleased with the outcome.

Her dress was of an emerald green colour which sparkled as she walked. The top half was elegantly designed, with little ruffles and bows. At her waist it flared out, falling to the floor in a simple flow of fabric.

Eliza stared at herself.

At times like these, she still found it shocking to see herself. She still had to pinch her arm to make sure she was living a reality and not just a tempting dream. Just months ago she would have been sat in the dust bookshop, reading a story and using a stub of candle for light. Oh, how things had changed.

Alas, all good things come to an end. Or at least that has always been Eliza's opinion. And, true to this statement, her wonderful life would soon finish. She would be dragged off to a faraway kingdom.

She shook her head. No, tonight she would not think about these things. She would enjoy the festivities and worry about her future in the morning.

"You look beautiful, Princess," the maid said as she tucked the last piece of hair into the hairpin.

"Thank you."

Eliza smiled. Yes, she did look beautiful. Taking a deep breath, she approached her waiting mother and followed her to the ballroom.

***

"Andrew, won't you go and ask someone to dance? You can't stand around all evening," the King said to him. It was true, Andrew had been standing in the same spot for quite some time.

"Yes, father. Just give me a few moments," he replied, nervously glancing around.

He had been watching for Arabella to arrive. He had received word to announce her arrival at the castle, but he had yet to personally see her.

Elizabeth was dancing somewhat awkwardly with her fiancé at the centre of the room. As Andrew watched, he could see how unhappy she was in his presence. She hadn't looked staring at him once during the dance, which was quite impressive when considering her poor dancing skills.

All of a sudden, Jackson looked up and his head locked into a position staring at the other side of the room. And sure enough, there stood Arabella, looking rather stunning in a deep red ball gown.

Jackson's eyes didn't stray once, and at the end of the song, Andrew watched him politely excuse himself from the next dance. He left Eliza stood alone, watching him walk away with confusion shown all over her face.

After a short conversation which Andrew didn't hear, the two had wandered out of the ballroom and onto the small balcony that Eliza had often used to escape. The irony was obvious.

When Andrew could wait no longer, he followed their path and quietly slipped out of the door.

The sight that met his eyes was expected, but nevertheless shocking. Arabella was pulled into a tight embrace, her lips encased in a deep kiss with Jackson. After a short glance, Andrew cleared his throat.

The two sprang apart with such ferocity that Andrew had to hold back a chuckle and fight to keep the frown on his face.

Arabella looked down, her pretty face covered in shame. Andre turned to her first.

"Leave," he ordered, pointing at the doorway. She was quick to comply.

They both watched her leave in silence before Andrew turned to the other man. His glare was full of hatred and hardened when he noticed Jackson's shameless expression.

"I think it's time you and I had a talk, don't you think?" he began, taking a step closer.

As subtle as it was, Andrew still noticed Jackson gulp.