Chapter 24

Chapter 24

A hush echoed across the room as the door was opened for the Princess. The audience stood, bowing their heads politely, but each person sneakily glancing up to see the bride.

She walked in on her father's arm, a small bouquet of flowers clutched in her hands. It was simple and elegant, with little pink flowers poking out from behind the larger white ones. It suited the young woman perfectly.

With eyes piercing through her skin, Eliza just looked at the floor, trusting the King to guide her to the front. For just a few moments more she could avoid looking at the man whom she would marry.

The tiara that was placed at a very particular angle on her head felt heavy. It wasn't the largest crown, but the burden that it represented weighed a huge amount.

With deep breaths, they made their way through the audience, and to the front of the chapel.

From the front row, her siblings sent her encouraging smiles. Danny gave her a little nod of support, and Oliver bowed his head slightly. How she wished she could have found a way out of his wedding too.

This was it. The moment that she was dreading. The idea of running away was fresh in her mind, but it wasn't possible. Not if she wanted to protect the kingdom.

Jackson looked down at the bride. His eyes were full of hate, not for her, but for the decision that was made when they were both children.

It was true, she did look beautiful. She would make a wonderful wife, and although she was not the woman he wanted, she would have to suffice.

He gently reached down and lifted the veil, silently willing her to look up at him. And when she did, his heart missed a beat.

He was filled with a deep longing, but not for the woman that stood in front of him. For another girl, back in his own Kingdom. He quickly pushed it aside. Thoughts like that were dangerous.

***

With both the bride and groom avoiding each other's eyes, the wedding was rather unusual. To most people, it looked like nerves had gotten the better of them both, but to anyone who knew the princess, it was obvious that this was her last act of defiance before she gave up her life.

"I do," Elizabeth whispered when it was time. They were the hardest words to say, and her heart was beating at a million miles per hour. The words felt intense, and at that moment the reality of what she was doing hit her in full force.

With a sob on the breach of escape, she tried so desperately to hold it back. To not show the emotions that were clearly being experienced.

And then the sob escaped, with a few ears trailing behind.

Jacksons' face was scrunched together, as if in deep thought. His hands were shaking as he held hers, and it was clear that he was highly uncomfortable.

Eliza had tried to zone out the words being spoken to them. She had done her part, so what did it matter anymore?

Then it was Jackson's turn. He glanced at her, a gentle smile gracing his handsome features. It was a sad smile, filled with pity and helplessness.

But the pause went on for too long. Had she just not heard him speak?

"No, I do not," he finally said, as he dropped her hands. His face was filled with a genuine smile.

Suddenly, whispers erupted amongst the people. The shock written on each face was comical, and even Eliza couldn't help but give a soft smile.

But then she was brought back to reality. What did he mean?

"I won't marry Princess Elizabeth!" he said, his voice strong. And with that, he turned around and left, leaving the confusion behind.

The air was thick with tension as the people stared at Eliza, left all alone at the altar.

After a short hesitation, Eliza turned and followed him, not daring to look at anyone in the process.

She found him on a bench outside, his head in his hands as his body shook. Was he crying?

"A-are you alright, Jackson?" she asked, bracing herself for an answer.

He only looked at her with a huge grin. And then she realised. He wasn't crying, he was laughing.

"I am perfectly fine. In fact, I am better than fine."

Eliza sat down beside him.

"I will not marry you. I know that you never wanted to marry me, and as lovely as you are, I am in love with somebody else."

"You mean it?"

"Of course. Being trapped in a life together is not something that I would wish, especially since you also love another man." He replied, grabbing her hand.

"You must find him, and you must marry him. That is my condition to this."

Eliza was in shock. All of this time she had been fighting him, and now he wanted to help.

"What about the kingdoms? What will happen?" Eliza asked in a whisper.

"You mustn't worry about that, my dear. When I am king I will make an agreement with this kingdom. We don't need marriage for that."

Eliza pulled him into a hug.

"Thank you!" She paused for a moment. "You will marry her, won't you?"

"Who are you talking about?" he asked.

"Arabella. It was obvious that you love her, and I think she loves you too."

"If her father permits it, then I will."

They heard some booming voices approaching from the castle. It sounded like an argument between some headstrong men, and Eliza knew that she didn't want to get caught up with the angry voices.

"Quickly, follow me!" Jackson said as he pulled Eliza up and dragged her towards the stables.

"Where are we going?"

Jackson didn't answer as he pulled her into the stables where two horses were stood, fully saddled.

"I think that if we stay they will force us to marry. And for certain, my father will not allow you to leave without marrying either me or one of my brothers. So instead we must go. You need to go to Grea and find your man. I will go to Zari, break off this horrible marriage agreement with the advisors, and seek approval from Arabella's father." He said breathlessly.

Eliza nodded and reached up to kiss his cheek.

"Thank you, Jackson."

"You are welcome, Eliza. Now you need to go. One of my guards is waiting at the castle gates, ready to accompany you. Are you ready?" he effortlessly jumped up onto his horse.

"Yes, I am more than ready," she replied as she followed suit.

Together, with smiles on their faces, they galloped out across the grounds together, ignoring the chaotic scene that they had created.

And Eliza was certain that as she passed them, she could see her father give her a subtle thumbs up.

And she couldn't wipe the smile off her face.

*** 

What do you all think? Let me know in the comments!