Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Riding through the woods at high speed filled Elizabeth with a rush of excitement. Perhaps it was the wind in her hair or the rustling trees surrounding her. Or maybe it was because of the man she was riding to.

A guard followed closely behind, his own horse having no trouble keeping up. She hadn't spoken to him at all, but he seemed to understand. He was a young man of a similar age to Oscar, and Eliza was aware of how much he reminded her of Oscar. It was a comforting feeling, filling Eliza with peace about what she was doing.

Ahead of them was a long and winding road. The forest that had always seemed dangerous now felt enchanting.

Eliza slowed slightly to let the guard ride alongside.

"Is everything alright, Princess?" he asked, watching their path ahead intently. Every so often he would glance behind them, looking for bandits and thieves.

"Yes, thank you. How long do you think it will take?" she asked.

"I hope we will be there before sundown. I fear if we are not we will have to spend the night at a closer village."

"No, we must get there tonight. I don't know if we have people following us." Eliza replied, panic filling her face.

The guard noticed her distress and gave an encouraging smile.

"Well, I do hope it won't be an issue. I think we will be there in a few hours." He said, kindly.

***

True to his word, they arrived in Grea before the sun had set. The busy village was in its usual frenzy, and the hustle and bustle of the market was heart-warming for the princess.

Eliza breathed in the scent of burning wood and cooking meat. She was home.

Eliza didn't even notice the stares she was getting as she rode at high speed through the main street of the village. She wouldn't have even slowed down if it weren't for a group of children she had nearly ploughed over. She was on a mission.

Once they had reached the Parsons' house Eliza jumped from her horse and tossed the reigns at the guard. He expertly caught them in his spare hand, and he jumped down from his own horse.

Knocking the door brought a million feelings flooding down. She was nervous that he would hate her, dreading that he might have found another woman.

But when the door opened, agonisingly slow, James wasn't stood there.

"Elle?" Gemma squealed, pulling her in for a tight hug. "What on earth are you doing here. Isn't today your wedding day."

Eliza grinned. "Yes. But there has been a," she paused for a second. "Complication. And I must speak to James."

Gemma smiled. "Perhaps you'd like to come in for some refreshments? James isn't here, but you could tell me about it."

"Do you know where I might find him? I apologise, but I must first talk to him. My guard may fill you in on today's events though."

"There is a hill close to the old bookstore. James often goes there to watch the sunset. I'm not exactly sure where, but I'm sure you will find him." She leant against the doorframe as she spoke.

"Thank you, Gemma!" Eliza said as she turned to walk away. "I will come back later."

"Don't break his heart anymore," Gemma called out.

"I don't plan on it."

She began to walk away, her heart pounding in her chest. But before she was far, she turned back to the guard.

"I need to do this alone," she said, crossing her fingers that he would let her go.

"I'm not allowed to let you go without me," he replied.

"I will be safe. I managed here for over nine years. I think I can manage for one more hour."

And she left before he could say anything else, grateful that he hadn't followed.

The walk was slow, and Eliza smiled at the many people she passed. But she hardly noticed them. When she reached the hill she looked up. And sure enough, there was James, sat at a tree stump and staring out over the village.

He looked so broken, his chin in his hands, his shoulders slumped. But to Eliza, he looked strong and handsome.

With a deep breath, she began her ascent.

****

Only one more chapter to go! Ahhhhhh!!! But I promise it will be the best chapter yet!!!

Sorry it's short- I've been ill for the last two weeks so everything  takes longer than normal!

Let me know what you think in the comments!