Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Andrew was walking through the castle, his mind away in the clouds. He so was deep in thought about Eliza, that he didn't even notice what was happening around him.

It wasn't until a large thump could be heard from a few feet away did his string of thought break.

He looked around to see a young maid sprawled out on the floor, the papers she was carrying scattered around her.

"Are you okay?" Andrew asked her, as he slowly approached.

The maid became flustered and hurried to get up. "Your highness, I apologise for the mess. It was so clumsy of me!" she rushed.

"There is no need to worry, it was a simple accident. There is no harm done. Are you alright?" Andrew replied.

"Yes, your highness," she dropped into a curtsey.

Andrew bent down to pick up the papers.

"It's alright, your highness. I can pick them up!" She seemed nervous as if she was awaiting her punishment.

"It's quite alright." He looked down at the letter he was now holding. It was at the top of the pile of papers. "What are these?"

"They're letters, your highness."

The first letter was addressed to a 'Miss Arabella' in a neat, writing. He turned the letter over to see the seal of Prince Jackson holding the paper together.

"They are all from Prince Jackson?" he asked.

"No, your highness. The rest are from other people in the castle. I was taking them to Mr White. He's in charge of having them sent out." She informed him.

"What is your name?" Andrew asked.

"I'm not going to get into trouble, am I? It's Jane."

"No, you won't get into trouble. But I'd like you to come with me for a few minutes."

She followed him down the hallway and into an empty room.

"Now that we are away from prying eyes, I need you to do me a favour." Andrew began. "I need to read this letter from Jackson, but I will have to break the seal in order to do so. I need you to find a way to reseal it when I am finished. Do you think you could do that?"

"I could do it while he is at dinner. Why do you need the letter?" Jane asked.

Andrew looked at her closely. She didn't seem like the type who would spread gossip, and there was something about her that made her seem trustworthy.

"Jane, I need you to promise that you will never tell anyone this. Do you promise that?"

"Yes, of course, your highness."

"I am doing it for Princess Elizabeth." He didn't want to give away too much detail.

"I'd do anything for Princess Elizabeth. She's the kindest person I've ever seen. She always says thank you even though it is our job. Are you trying to find a way out of the marriage?"

"How do you know about that?" he asked, his eyes wide with shock.

"I'm a maid, your highness. Maids hear everything." She smiled at him, but it quickly turned into a frown. "None of us maids like Prince Jackson. He's an unkind man."

Andrew sighed. He had never heard anyone say something good about the prince. There were just so many bad things.

"Come and collect the letter from me just before dinner. Then you can take it to get it resealed. I'll make sure Mr White knows that the post will be late. Don't get caught, Jane."

"I'll do my best, your highness." She took the rest of the letters from Andrew and walked out of the room.

Andre waited for a minute and then briskly made his way to his chambers. He didn't stop once, and when he was there he sat down by his writing desk. He gently broke the seal and opened the letter up.

'My dearest Arabella,' it began.

'I know that my deepest regret will always be rejecting you as my queen. But now that I am here in Grea, I see why there is a need for me to marry Elizabeth. An alliance between our two kingdoms will be the most powerful alliance to so far exist. It will be so powerful, that I will have more control than my father ever had. I will be the ruler of Zari, yet other kingdoms will look to me as a model to them. You must understand that I cannot give up such a great future.

My biggest fear with Elizabeth is that she will be disobedient. She seems to have a mind of her own, and she is rather stubborn. But I'm sure, given time, she will submit to me.

My father is a sick man, and I am certain that it will soon be time for the crown to be given to me. I must be married when this happens, for it will be a time to show my power to our kingdom and all of the kingdoms around.

I have previously spoken to your father, and he has refused to give you to me in marriage. My own father will not give into my wishes, and as a prince, I have no right to demand your hand.

Once I have become king and Elizabeth is under control, I will once again approach your father. He will have little strength to deny you as my mistress. You will not want for anything, and although you will not be my wife, you will be treated like my queen.

Although this is not what we want, it is for the best. You and I will have so much power that we will never need to beg another kingdoms help.

My love, try to hold off any engagements between yourself and another man. The wedding will take place soon, and when that is done I will return to Zari. I shall let every eligible man know that they will face death if they so much as talk to you. '

The letter went on, but Andrew stopped reading it. He had seen enough.

This was it. The chance that they had all been waiting for was finally here. All that Andrew had to do was to play his cards correctly, and Eliza would escape marrying an evil man.

A/N- SO... what do you think???

Can you send e some questions for the Q and A that I am doing?? Thanks!! Xx