Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"James, thank you for meeting with me," the king began.

"It's a pleasure, your highness," James replied. He was very confused as to why he was called for a meeting. A servant had come and collected him as he was working with Oscar.

"Please, take a seat," King Jonathan offered, indicating towards a chair opposite him. James took the seat and looked up at the king.

"Now, I have called you here today as I have something that I need to discuss with you. I apologise for interrupting your work."

"That's okay, your highness," James said, frowning slightly. He wished that the king would just get to the point already. "What is it that you wanted to discuss?"

"Well, it is a matter concerning my daughter," the king answered, looking uncomfortable.

"Elizabeth?" James was glad that he had remembered not to call her 'Elle'.

"Yes, indeed,"

James sat up straighter.

"I would like you to keep your distance from her," The king said, bluntly. "I fear that you are becoming too close, and I cannot have my daughter associating herself closely with my workers." It was difficult for King Jonathan to say, as he truly wanted the best for her. But this was for the best.

"I-I don't understand," James replied, shock and confusion written all over his face.

"Elizabeth is," he paused for a moment, "engaged to another man."

"What?" James' shoulders slumped as he sat back in shock.

She was engaged to another man? All of this time he thought that he had a chance with her, but she was engaged? He could hardly believe it.

"But that doesn't make any sense. She can't have met someone so quickly!" James defended.

"When she was a child, she was promised to a prince from another kingdom." The king answered.

"She is being forced into marriage," James stated as if it was just another fact. But it wasn't.

"It is part of being a royal," the king said.

"I can't believe that after all she has been through, she is still going to be sent away to another kingdom," James said, looking at the king with hate in his eyes He couldn't believe that anyone would do that to their child.

"It was a mistake, I know." The king said with a sigh.

"Well can't you do anything about it?" James begged.

"I have has the papers reviewed, and they are set in stone It must happen."

"Can't you just refuse?"

"And have them declare war? That could be devastating for so many people." The king said sadly. "Sometimes, as royals, we have to put our people above ourselves."

James stared at the floor for a moment, trying to desperately think of a way out. But it seemed hopeless.

"What does Elle say about this?" James finally asked, when the tension in the room had become too thick to breathe.

"Well, I only told her today. She ran away, and her brother found her. She still hasn't spoken to me."

"Well, I don't blame her," James mumbled.

"What was that?" the king asked.

"Nothing, sir," James looked down to the floor once more.

"James, I know that you are close with my daughter. And I think that some distance between the two of you should be encouraged."