Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"Excuse me, sir," a maid rushed in and bowed before the king.

He gestured for her to stand. "What is it?" he asked.

"I hate to interrupt, your highness, but Prince Jackson of Zari has arrived."

The king rose from the table. He looked around, and he saw that everyone had finished with their meals.

"Let us go and greet our guest," he said, with a sober smile. He walked around the table and held out a hand for his wife to take.

The masons all stood up on by one and followed the king out of the room. Until finally, Eliza was the only one seated.

"Eliza, come on," Danny said as he put a hand on her shoulder. She stayed staring at the table.

"I-I don't want to meet him," she said, looking up panicked. "What if he is awful?"

"You'll just have to find out," Danny said, holding out an arm for his sister. "You might as well get it done with."

"You're right," she said as she took his arm.

They walked slowly, and Danny was aware that his sister was trying to delay the inevitable. He didn't agree with her, but he walked slowly nonetheless.

"And where is my future wife?" Eliza heard a voice, causing her to halt.

"She is on her way," the king announced. "Perhaps you would like some refreshments whilst we wait?"

"No, no. I will just wait here." He replied.

Eliza looked at her brother with wide eyes.

"Let's just go in," Danny whispered, pulling her to walk once more.

The door was opened for them, and Eliza was abandoned by her brother as soon as they entered. She looked up to see a man whom she didn't know.

He was rather handsome, with bright blue eyes and dark hair. He was well built, and fairly tall in comparison to her.

"Elizabeth?" he asked, in a deep voice. He began to walk towards her as she nodded. They didn't break eye contact for even a second.

When he reached her, he picked up her hand and brought it up to his lips.

"Well, you are very beautiful, my dear," he said, causing Eliza to blush slightly. Perhaps he wasn't so bad.

"Thank you," Eliza replied, looking towards the floor.

"Now, will you show me to my quarters?" he asked her, gently dropping her hand.

"I-I don't know where they are," Eliza replied.

"A servant will happily show you," the king replied.

"Very well," he replied, nodding at the king. He sent one last glance in his fiancé's direction.

Eliza just watched him follow the servant out.

"He doesn't seem so bad," Rachel said when the door was shut.

Elia shook her head. Rachel was right; he didn't seem like the worse man ever. And she could surely live with that.

"I agree," Danny added, sending his sister a supporting smile. "He seems like a kind gentleman."

"And he's rather handsome!" Sophia added.

"You're too young for him," Andrew teased, grinning at his youngest sisters' slightly red face.