Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Eliza took a deep breath to calm herself down. She was just going for a ride with Jackson, which was all. But Eliza couldn't help but be nervous.

Jackson had asked her every morning to accompany him on a walk until she finally gave up and agreed. There was no doubt that everyone was relieved that she had finally given him a chance.

The king had suggested that they take a ride into one of the villages. It was nearby, and Jackson had been asking to visit some more of the kingdom.

"Take a warm cloak, dear," Mrs Ovens said as she wrapped a new cloak around Eliza's shoulders. "That should take out the chill."

"Thank you," Eliza quietly replied.

Mrs Ovens looked at her for a few moments, contemplating what she should say. "I know that you're a princess now, and it really isn't my place to say, but perhaps you should at least give the prince a chance."

"I am."

"I mean a real chance. It's fairly obvious that you don't want to go."

Eliza sighed. This lady always seemed to know what was going on in her mind. Perhaps it was because she had her own daughters.

"I know that he isn't James, but you hardly have a choice in the matter. You might as well make the best out of it," she finished.

"I'll try," Eliza said. This time she was telling the truth. She would try to have a lovely day.

***

Eliza met Jackson outside of the castle doors. He was stood next to a servant who was holding two large horses. Three guards stood to attention next to him, already mounted and ready to go.

"Hello, my dear," Jackson said as she approached. He picked up her hand and brought it to his lips. "What a wonderful day to go riding. Wouldn't you agree?"

"Yes, of course," she replied. But in fact, she thought it was a rather horrible day for a ride. The wind was sharp, and the occasional shower of rain had dampened the ground.

Jackson mounted his horse and gestured for the servant to help Eliza with her own. Eliza sighed. If James were here he would have lifted her up onto her horse without a second thought. But no, she couldn't think like that.

She smiled at the servant and gracefully let him help her up.

They rode through the castle grounds in silence, and when they reached the gate they saw that it was already opening. They waited for the carriage to enter before they passed.

As it passed, Eliza saw the passengers. James was sat there, and when he saw Eliza with Jackson he looked away. His eyes were filled with hurt, and his face stone cold. She felt like crying.

"Elizabeth, let's go," Jackson called, snapping her out of her trance. It was much harder to forget about James than she thought it would be.

Eliza kicked her horse and trotted to catch up with Jackson.

She had to admit that he looked rather dashing, sat tall on his horse. The wind was blowing through his hair and he led the group with such authority.

The ride to the village didn't take long, and the princess was shocked at the welcome they received. People had come out of their houses to line the streets, just to catch a glimpse of the royal couple.

Jackson rode on slightly ahead, waving at the people. But Eliza didn't feel so comfortable. She felt so undeserving of all of the attention. Just months ago it would have been her excited to meet royalty. And now she was that royalty.

As they were riding through, something, or rather someone, caught Eliza's eye. A girl was stood there in the shadows, watching the commotion with wide eyes and a blank face. She was thin and short, but she looked to be a similar age to Eliza.

Eliza stopped her horse and jumped off, wincing slightly as she hit the ground with a loud thud. She passed the reigns to a young boy and began walking towards the girl.

Jackson and the guards hadn't noticed that she had been left behind, and for that Eliza was grateful.

The girl looked up at her as she approached. The closer that Eliza got, the more that she noticed about her. She was shivering, and dark shadows under her eyes showed her ill health. She wore ripped clothing, with no cloak to keep her warm.

"Are you okay?" she asked the girl. The only reply that she received was a wide eyed, frightened look.

Eliza sighed. She couldn't leave this girl in this position, yet she had only a few coins to give her.

She handed the girl the coins. "Buy something for yourself to eat. You look like you need it."

The girl looked beyond shocked. She gave a small smile.

Eliza slipped off her cloak. She immediately felt cold, but she put it to the back of her mind. The girl needed it more than her.

She handed it over, and the girl slowly reached for it.

"Thank you, miss," she said.

Eliza nodded and walked back onto the main street.

"Elizabeth, what on earth were you thinking? You can't just disappear!" Jackson yelled when he saw her. "We'll have to go back to the castle."

Eliza tried to argue with him, but it was useless. They began their journey home.

"And where is your cloak? You'll freeze," he asked.

"A girl needed it more than me."

Jackson turned to a guard. "Well, are you not going to give her your own cloak?" he demanded.

"The guard was quick to obey. "Of course, your majesty."

"No. Keep the cloak on yourself," Eliza said, pushing it back in his direction.

"Don't be ridiculous Elizabeth," Jackson said.

"If you're so worried about me freezing you can give me your own cloak," she defiantly told him.

"Elizabeth, that is simply impossible. I need the cloak myself." He replied.

"And so does this guard."

The guard looked at her with appreciation. The rest of the ride was spent in silence, Jackson riding alongside with frustration showing on his face.

A/N- What do you think of this chapter? I'm not too sure whether I like it!

Thanks to everyone who has so far entered the cover contest! I will hopefully run a writing contest after Xx

Also, someone has asked for a Q&A with me :) What do you think?

Thanks- have a good day/night Xx