Chapter 23

Chapter 23

The sun had not yet risen when Eliza picked up her coat and tiptoed out of the castle. After tossing and turning all night, she would do anything to escape the day.

For today was the day that she would pledge her life to another kingdom. More importantly, perhaps, it was the day that her freedom would be gone. Like a distant memory, she could only remember in her wildest dreams.

The lake in the castle grounds reflected the beautiful colours from the sky. It stillness contrasted with the whirlwind of feelings in the young girl's heart.

Eliza chucked a stone into the water. It created a ripple of waves, dancing along after each other and racing as far as they could before they faded into nothing.

A bird's song could be heard in the distance, and it was quickly echoed by a whole flock of birds. It was if the birds were singing to each other, without any cares in the world. On any other day, Eliza would have stopped to listen to the music. But today none of that mattered.

By now the sun had just about peaked over the horizon, and from her vantage point on the hill, Eliza watched the colours change. The subtle pink changed to a deep orange. For just a moment she could imagine that she was back in Grea, watching the sun rise over the village that she once called home.

With a deep breath, Princess Eliza turned and faced the castle. She had no idea how many more morning she would spend here, but she was certain that it would be just a few more.

Slowly, she began her stroll back to the castle. A gardener was picking some flowers, no doubt to be displayed in the castle. It was sad really, that the flowers would be cut down for her own pleasure, and begin their slow and sure deaths.

The man looked up as she passed, offering her a small smile and a quick bow before he continued his work. But Eliza didn't miss the look of pity in his eyes. Was it really that obvious that Eliza didn't want to marry the prince?

Even the door looked more daunting than usual. As the guard opened it wide, it took all of her effort to force her legs to move and carry her through. Perhaps it was because she knew that after walking through the doors there would be no turning back.

"Oh, good! Elizabeth, you simply must be getting ready. Your wedding begins in a few hours." The Queen announced when she noticed her daughters arrival. From her flushed cheeks, it was obvious that she had been looking for Eliza.

Eliza just nodded and followed a maid through the castle, deeper and deeper into her not-so-happy ending.

Mrs Ovens was stood at the end of the room that they had entered. In front of her, hung on the wall, was the most beautiful dress that Eliza had ever seen. It wasn't quite white, but it's slightly yellowed colour gave it a warm look. The ruffles and jewels were fairly extravagant, and Eliza was a little excited to try it on. For a moment she had even forgotten the reason that she would be wearing such a masterpiece.

"It's beautiful," was all she could say, her voice seemingly stuck in her throat. She stared at it for a few minutes, not daring to blink in case it slipped away. "Thank you."

"You are very welcome, my dear," Mrs Ovens walked up to her and pulled her into a tight embrace. "You deserve nothing but the best. I'm sure Prince Jackson will love it."

That was all it took for Eliza to slip out of her own thoughts.

"Are you ready to put it on?"

Eliza gulped but nonetheless nodded her head.

***

"Wow, I've never seen such a beautiful bride!" Sophia exclaimed when she saw her sister.

"Have you ever seen any bride before?" Eliza asked, grinning slightly.

"That's beside the point. You look breathtaking, and I don't need anyone to compare you with to know that."

Eliza glanced at her reflection in the glass mirror. She really did look like a princess in the dress. But nothing seems right. How could she enjoy the dress when the only reason she was wearing it was to marry a man she loathed?

"Elizabeth, I am so very proud of you," the Queen said, wiping a tear from her eye with a lace handkerchief.

"Are you ready, my daughter?" The King asked, holding out his arm for her to take. "We will enter after the rest of the family have had time to take their seats. I will be here every step of the way."

Upon reaching the ceremony room, the Queen squared her shoulder and tucked the handkerchief into her dress. Andrew took her arm and led her in. Danny followed next, with Rachel beside him. He sent his sister one more encouraging smile before he disappeared into the distance.

Only Sophia and Oliver remained. Before they too left, Oliver turned to Eliza and whispered, "I'm sorry!"

Eliza reached her arm out to stop him from leaving.

"For what? You have done everything that you could. I only wish that we had found a way out for you." Elizabeth replied, sending him a smile filled with pity.

"Will you be alright?" Oliver asked quietly.

"I will be more than alright. You mustn't worry about me. I am perfectly capable of looking after myself."

"I know," he said as he, too, left.

When everyone had entered the room and the guard gestured for them to follow, Eliza stopped.

"Do I have to?" she asked, watching her father with pleading eyes. It was a last-ditch attempt to change her fate, and her heart seemed to shatter all over again when the king shook his head.

"I am so sorry. I do hope that you will not hate me forever for doing this to you." The tears in his eyes were so uncommon for that of a king, and Eliza knew by that alone that he was truly regretful.

But now it was too late to change things. She would have to marry Prince Jackson, and she might as well do it without tears ruining her look.

For what felt like the thousandth time that day, Eliza took another deep breath.

"I'm ready," she said, as she clung to her father's arm and glided into the room full of people who were there to watch her seal her fate.

***

A/N- Another upload? *Gasp*. I thought you all deserved it! Thank you for all of your amazing comments- they have really inspired me to write quickly!

I'll try to get the next chapter written ASAP, but it's quite important and I need to get it completely right. 

Sorry for the cliff-hanger, but just wait until you see what happens next. You might be surprised, but you might not ;)