Chapter 15

*Important authors note at the end!*

Chapter15

When they arrived back at the castle it was clear that Jackson was absolutely furious. Eliza didn't quite understand exactly why, but she knew that it was because of her.

He jumped off his horse, threw the reins into a servants hands, and stormed into the castle.

Eliza graciously accepted some help to get down, and she much more calmly followed her betrothed inside.

He was stood in the hallway, pacing up and down. He stopped when he saw her.

"What you did was absolutely outrageous!" he yelled, shaking his head. "It is no way that a princess should behave, nevertheless a queen! How can I be expected to hold back while my wife helps every single poor soul? We had a schedule, Elizabeth. And then you disappear without a word. Do you know how worried the guards were?"

Eliza shook her head. "If you were worried about my well-being you would have realised that I had stopped. But instead, you were too busy basking in the fame." She replied, softly.

"You will not answer back to me like that when we are married! You will do as I say." He said.

"What on earth is going on?"

They both turned in the direction of the voice. King Jonathan was stood there, his mouth open in shock, for he had never seen any of his daughters arguing with a man of such status. Stood around him were the rest of the Royals.

"Your daughter is being ridiculous," Jackson said.

The king ignored him. "Why are you back so early from your ride?"

"Because Elizabeth wasn't cooperating properly. She just disappeared and we later found her with the villagers. Anything could have happened, and we wouldn't have known because she didn't inform her of her whereabouts." Jackson ranted.

King Jonathan turned to him "Perhaps you should have been paying more attention to her, and then you would have noticed."

Jackson scowled.

"But Elizabeth, that really is unacceptable. You have to understand how dangerous it is now that you are a princess." He said.

Her mother looked at her with sad eyes. "We really don't want to lose you again. You have no idea what we went through. It was so hard."

Eliza looked around in complete bewilderment. She saw her family, who have never wanted for anything, watching her closely. Servants and guards were stood to attention, but Eliza knew that they were paying close attention to what was happening. And then there were the other men. A couple of advisors who had heard the argument and come to investigate. Ad stood amongst them was James, with such sincerity in his eyes that her heart was caused to skip a beat.

They made eye contact for just a millisecond before the emotion in Eliza exploded.

"It was hard for you? Have you even thought about what it was like for me? I saw that girl today, and she reminded me of myself. She was cold, hungry, and she had no one to love her. That is exactly how I was. I had to stop because I know what it is like to be that desperate."

The rest of the family stood shocked as Eliza walked away. She walked down the corridors and into the place where she felt most at home; the library.

The fire was blazing, and Eliza sat down on the chair in front of it. She was shivering with cold, but the fire seemed to warm her almost immediately.

There was something about the library that made Eliza feel calm. Maybe it was the fact that she grew up around books or the idea that every book was a different world that she could escape to for as long as she needed. They were a distraction from life.

The door could be heard opening, but Eliza didn't turn to the noise Perhaps it was a maid who would see her presence and leave quickly. But the door slammed shut and didn't open again.

After a few moments of staring at the fire, Eliza turned around.

"Have you come to tell me that I shouldn't have said that?" she asked, and then gasped when she saw who it was.

"James?"

Their eyes were connected, and neither one of them wanted to be the first to look away.

"I wanted to tell you that I think you are right. I know that I could be in trouble for saying this, but the king and queen don't understand what you have been through. I don't even understand." He chuckled slightly. "Don't let them change you."

"Thank you, James," Eliza whispered.

"I need to go. I think Andrew was about to come after you, but he was going to check your chambers first. I don't know how I knew that you would be here, but somehow I just did."

Eliza nodded and they watched him retreat. Tears glistened in her eyes, threatening to spill over.

Eliza didn't know how long it was before the door opened again.

"What you did wasn't very well thought out. To be honest, it was rather irresponsible of you." Andrew began.

Eliza sighed. "You don't-"

"But that doesn't mean that it wasn't admirable." He interrupted. "Our brothers and sisters agree with me when I say that we have never seen such compassion, and we admire you for that. But please, next time you must be more thoughtful. I don't think anyone could take it if you disappeared again."

Eliza didn't know what to say.

"Jackson seems to have shown a different side to him."

"I don't want to marry him, Andrew."

"I know," he replied.

"He was simply awful today. I went with an open mind, but he quickly closed it. He was so harsh to the guards, and he had no respect for anyone." She continued.

"Eliza, know that we won't give up. I will search for a way out. But you have to accept that it might happen. This is something that we can't definitely change." He grimaced. "Even if you do marry him it might not be so bad. Many queens live apart from their husbands anyway."

If only she could find a way out. Then she could be with the one she truly loved, and she might be happy. But that was an unlikely situation.

A/N-Hope you like the chapter- please vote!!

There is now a writing competition AND a cover contest at the end of Lost Royalty! Be sure to take a look! The cover competition closes in four days so don't forget to send your covers in!!

Also, have a look at my new story 'Evelyn'. I am super excited for it!!

Send me questions for the Q and A I am doing :) I'll try to answer them all

Much love Xx