11:

I hissed as Ryder touched a particularly sensitive spot on the gash going across my cheek, but kept still. He wore a deep frown, his expression hard, making him look far older than his 10 years.

Because he was a far stronger Empath than me, I could not use my own ability to find out how he was feeling. So that left me with having to awkwardly ask him.

"Ryder..."

"Yes, mum?" He squinted as he angled the bandage properly before smoothing it across my cheek.

"Are...are you and Rebel disappointed in me?"

"Disappointed?!" Rebel cried out from across the room. Her sudden movement made Alex groan as she no doubt hit one of his many bruises. "I think you're totally awesome, mum. You just came in like WAPOW! POW POW! I want to do that too when I grow up."

"I think someone wants to be a warrior when she grows up." Alex rasped out. Even from across the room, and with half of his face bruised and swollen, I could see just how much he already adored Rebel.

Rebel's eyes went round, her head flying as she looked between me and Alex. "I can be a warrior?"

"Oh no, here it comes." I whispered jokingly to Ryder, who gave me a small grin. He was now wrapping up my bruised and bloodied hands.

"Mum I want to be a warrior! How do I become a warrior?"

I gave her an indulgent grin. "We're a rogue pack, Rebel. Technically we're all warriors."

She pouted. "That doesn't count, mum! I want to train and fight others and stuff!"

Alex chuckled and petted her hair, but before he could soothe her worries, Elder Elijah stormed in. A cowed and bruised Blake and Carter followed after him, neither of them sparing me or Alex a glance. Of course not. The two of us won.

I watched as Elder Elijah silently made the two of them sit down, and then stared at all of us with his arms crossed.

"You're all adults now." He rumbled out. "So act like it. This fighting, this arguing, this stupid jealousy--"

"I'm not jealous!" Both Alex and Blake snapped.

Blake continued after glaring at Alex. "I have nothing to be jealous over!"

"Shut up!" Elder Elijah barked. "Just stop it! You are all family. Love and support one another. I won't have this pack falling apart because of you four."

Ryder slid from my side to stand beside Elder Elijah, taking his hand. "Grandpa?"

"Yes, little one?"

"Are you mad at mum? He was only trying to stop us from getting hurt."

Elder Elijah blinked in surprise, briefly glancing up at me before giving Ryder a small smile. "No, I'm not mad at your mum. Not really. I'm mostly worried."

Ryder nodded, his serious expression so strange to see on his chubby little face. "Mum stopped all the fighting but then the mean looking guy over there jumped at him."

"Did he?" Elder Elijah asked with a glare directed at Carter.

"Yeah." Ryder leaned closer and tried to whisper, though we could all hear him. "His feelings are yucky. I don't like him."

"Then let's get you two away from the yucky man and go have some fun while the adults talk." Elder Elijah held out his hand to Rebel. "Come along Rebel. We'll go find something fun to do with Astoria."

Rebel scrunched her nose but jumped down after kissing Alex on the cheek, careful of his bruises. I leaned down as she came over to kiss my cheek, followed by Ryder. The two smiled at me then went over to take their grandpa's hands. I smiled as they walked out, Rebel telling Elder Elijah how much she already dislikes Astoria.