12:

Most were already gathered in front of the house by the time Alex and I arrived. It was embarrassing, being one of the stragglers last to arrive, but not nearly as embarrassing as it had to be for Blake to have to stand down and let his father take control of the meeting. Since only the Alpha was allowed to speak during full pack meetings unless someone was prompted to speak by the Alpha, it spoke volumes at how pissed off Elder Elijah was to say fuck protocol and not only call the meeting himself, but also be the speaker of the meeting.

As Elder Elijah's adopted son, I had to go stand in the front next to Blake, despite my status as a rogue. But that courtesy was only extended to me; the rest of my pack should be in the main house where they were to stay until the end of the meeting. Since I couldn't bring any of them up with me, I had to resort to dragging--literally--Alex with me. 

"Robin, please." He hissed, tugging on my hand.

I summoned all the strength in my body to keep pulling him along. "I am so not going up there by myself."

"I'm not even allowed!"

"You are this time."

Looking over my shoulder to smirk triumphantly at him, I stopped next to Blake and released Alex's hand. He couldn't run away now, not in front of the entire pack. He shot me an irritated look that melted into one of exasperation as I just grinned cheekily at him.

"I am sure you are all wondering why I have broken tradition and called today's pack meeting instead of Blake." Elder Elijah's voice boomed through the clearing. "Certain events have transpired today has brought to light some unfortunate news about my son. It is regretful to announce that, beginning now, I am activating Elder's Authority."

A wave of shock went through the crowd. I wasn't very surprised. From what I could tell, Elder Elijah has regretted passing the title of Alpha down to Blake, and Elder's Authority was the fastest way to strip the Alpha title from Blake even though it was only temporary. With Elder's Authority in effect, Blake was now on probation and he would have to undergo a bunch of tests to determine  whether or not he was physically, mentally, and emotionally capable to continue being Alpha. If he passed all tests and was deemed in sound mind by the Council of Elders, he would have his title returned to him. If he failed...then he could never be Alpha again.

"I know this news is sudden and disorienting for you all, however I bequest that you all keep in mind that your safety is in my best interest and every move I make is done with you in mind." Elder Elijah gave Blake a sidelong glare. "As an Alpha should."

"Elder, are you going to act as Alpha in Blake's place?" Someone called out.

"I am not." Another waved of discord passed through the crowd. "Have no worries. Here with us today is a man who has been Alpha of his own pack for ten years. My son, Robin, has returned to us. Despite his status as a rogue, he returned to his home at just the right time. I believe this to be a sign from our Goddess, a sign of a new era." 

Whispers picked up as everyone shoved passed one another to get a closer look at me. I felt like I was on display and I held in the urge to fidget. My name echoed from the crowd as hundreds of eyes stared at me. Even Blake and Alex were staring at me shocked.

"Robin, my child." Elder Elijah turned to me. "Will you accept this role? Will you return to your home?"

I was put under the spotlight. He should've asked me about this before he called the meeting. But I knew he did this on purpose. He was afraid of my refusal. Which, honestly, I probably would have refused, no matter how temporary the position was. If Blake failed his tests, the pack might decide I'm a suitable Alpha and vote to keep me instead of returning the title to Elder Elijha until a new Alpha could be found. It was so risky.