Chapter Fourteen

"So Laf," Eliza began, she set her fork down, trying to choose her words carefully. "Have you asked him yet?" Eliza was trying her hardest to be subtle. Lafayette looked at her with a confused expression. "Have you asked Hercules out yet?"

Lafayette choked on his food, drawing attention from everyone at the table. John smirked, shooting Lafayette a knowing look.

"Well no," Lafayette said quietly, his face going red because of everyone staring at him. "Should I? Does he expect me to?"

Eliza smiled softy. "No, but there's no way he'd have the guts to ask you. I think you should go for it. Ask him to dinner tonight," Eliza's tone was encouraging, hoping Lafayette would listen to her.

"Okay I'll do it. When should I? Eliza what if it doesn't go well? What if he doesn't say yes?"

"He'll say yes," John chimed in from across from Lafayette. "Trust me Laf, he will." Lafayette gave him a questioning look, but slowly nodded. "Do it now," John said, making Lafayette's eyes widen.

"Baiser non," John slightly titled his head.

"John, that means 'fuck no' in French," Alex laughed as John rolled his eyes. "Go for it Lafayette. When I asked John out, I was 99% sure he would say no. But, here we are. Isn't it a chance worth taking?"

Lafayette glanced up, seeing Hercules farther down the table. He had a bright, toothy smile painted across his face as he talked to Peggy. Lafayette could hear his airy laugh, and it made him smile. He turned back to John, Alex, and Eliza, who were all looking at him hopefully. He nodded and stood up, walking over to Hercules.

"Oh hey Laf," Hercules' smile grew as the Frenchman came into view.

"I have a question Monsieur," Lafayette took a deep breath. "Will you go out with me?" Hercules' eyes widened.

"I-I um-"

"Youdon'thavetoIwasjustaskingbecauseIlikeyouandtheotherswereencouragingmeI'msorry," Lafayette rushed out, his words almost sounding French as they jumbled together.

"Laf, calm down. I'll go out with you," Hercules said, grinning from ear to ear.

"Great! Dinner, tonight?" Hercules nodded. Lafayette sighed in relief, rushing back over to John, grabbing his hands. "He said yes," Lafayette realized only after it came out of his mouth that he practically screamed the words, making the girls giggle.

"See, I told you he would," John smiled up at Lafayette, who could barely contain himself.

Alexander smiled, wrapping an arm around John. "Our son is growing up," he gushed, making the other two laugh.

"I knew this would be a good day," Eliza said to herself, placing her elbow on the table, resting her chin in her palm. "I just knew it."