Chapter Twenty

To say that the entirety of that day was tense for Lafayette would be a major understatement.

There was a heaviness in his chest he couldn't seem to repress. Every time he looked over at Hercules, who's expression only got sadder and sadder as the hours passed, the weight seemed to increase. As they walked around city Lafayette tried to keep his eyes down, but no matter what he did they would always travel upwards to find Hercules. Not to mention he looked up once or twice to find John of all people glaring at him. Not that Lafayette didn't know why, he knew exactly why.

Because he was the exact reason John's best friend was upset.

"Hey," Alex looked over at John, who he had tightly wrapped under his arm. John looked up, his slightly agitated expression not faltering. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing Alex, just..." John looked over to Lafayette. "I need to have a word with Lafayette." John pulled Lafayette's arm, pulling him far enough away from the group so they couldn't be heard.

"What the hell is going on?" John asked, a little harsher than he had meant it to be. "Did you say something to him? If you said something, so help me god, I'll-"

"John I didn't say anything to him," Lafayette looked down at his feet. "That's the problem."

"So you're avoiding him?" Lafayette nodded, not looking up. He could tell from John's pissed off tone that he wasn't the happiest.

"Maybe a little bit," John groaned, running a hand over his face. "John, mon ami, you don't get it."

"Laf," John said gently, noticing how out of hand his temper was getting. "I don't need an explanation. It's your business, I get that. But dude, you better fix whatever the fuck is broken because I'm trying to have a good day spent entirely on looking at my boyfriend's beautiful face. If it comes to it I'll help you, but Laf, you've gotta cheer him up," John gestured to Hercules, who was staring at the ground as the group stood, waiting for the two to return. Peggy was poking at his face, trying to get it to brighten, even if it was only slightly. It didn't seem to be working. "I can't see him like that man," Lafayette nodded, staring a bit too long at Hercules.

"I know John," Lafayette looked down at the freckled-faced man. "I will, just give me some time."

"Okay, I'll give you time, but fix it. I'm not afraid to kick some French ass if it comes to that," John smirked, lightly elbowing Lafayette's side.

"It won't come to that John," Lafayette pulled John back to the group by the wrist.

"Everything okay babe?" Alexander asked as John returned to his side, nestling himself once again under Alex's arm.

"Yeah, don't worry about it."

"Peggy let me handle this," Lafayette whisper as the girl continued prodding at Hercules. Peggy nodded, stepping back, giving Lafayette space. "Hercules and I are going to head back, we'll see you guys later." Hercules looked up in confusion as Lafayette dragged him away from the others.

"What're you doing?" Hercules asked. The quiet sound of his voice made Lafayette wince, realizing how much he hated this side of Hercules. He didn't like how the his stance wasn't big and slightly aggressive as it usually was.

"We need to talk, do we not?" Lafayette asked, wringing his hands.

"I suppose we do," Hercules looked back down. Lafayette opened his mouth, meaning to say something, anything, but he realized he didn't know what to say.

"Well I... I um-"

"If John told you to talk to me, you don't have to. I know he can get protective," Lafayette's hand loomed over Hercules' shoulder, wondering if he should actually let it fall into place. He decided against it, pulling it back towards his chest.

"He gave me a little encouragement, I cannot lie. But I want to talk to you Monsieur. When I left your bed to go back to my room, Jefferson talked to me," Hercules' head snapped up, his facial expression a strange mix of surprise, confusion, and slight anger.

"Jefferson?! What did he say to you?!" Hercules' voiced wasn't as quiet as before, but it wasn't what Lafayette wanted.

"He just... increased the extremity of the notion I already had," Hercules knitted his eyebrows in confusion, staring at Lafayette, expecting more to the story. "He talked of me about how... How you're leaving soon."

Hercules looked down. "I know, Laf. Only a few days left."

"So why are we starting anything? It'll all be thrown away when you back to America. Then what?" Lafayette felt himself get angry, angry with Hercules for being aware of the situation, but not doing anything to avoid it. "How could you let me get so involved with you? When you're just going to have to leave me?"

"Lafayette," Hercules let his dark eyes lock with Lafayette's. "We don't have a lot of time. Why waste it? If we're only together for another four days, I want to make the most of those four days, not throw them away, worrying about what'll happen next." Lafayette stared back at him, wide-eyed. "Laf? You're not saying anything..."

Lafayette smiled softly, he stopped walking, Hercules as well.

Lafayette placed his soft hands on the sides on the sides of Hercules' face, pulling him in, connecting their lips. It was gentle, soft. Both men wishing to stay like that forever.

But then again, there was this thing called breathing that was quite vital, causing them to pull away.

"I love you Hercules," Lafayette rested his forehead on Hercules', wrapping his arms around his arms around his neck. Hercules smiled, putting his own arms around Lafayette's waist.

"I love you too Laf," Hercules tightened his hold in Lafayette.

They pulled away, feeling rain start to fall.

"We should go back to the hotel now," Lafayette said, chuckling as the raid started to pour down. Hercules nodded in agreement, linking his arms with Lafayette as they strolled through the pouring rain. "Goddammit, my hairs gonna be fucked up." Lafayette pouted as stray wet curls fell onto his face.

"Oh here," Hercules pulled of his hoodie, giving it to Lafayette, who snickered.

"And John says Alex is cliché," Hercules rolled his eyes, lightly punching the Frenchman's arm.

"You love it," Hercules chuckled.

"Got me there Herc," Lafayette grinned, pulling the sweatshirt over his head. He set his head on Hercules' shoulder, sighing in contempt. "I could stay here forever."

Hercules snickered. "In the rain?" Lafayette rolled his eyes.

"You know what I mean, dumbass," Hercules nodded, putting his arm around Lafayette's slim waist.

"I know what you mean, and you know what?"

"Hm?" Lafayette looked up, meeting Hercules' eyes, that held a light of fondness.

"I feel exactly the same, darling."

A/N: Guess who had an awful night? That's right, this dude. Just feeling like shit right now I dunno. It's 1 am and I'm blaring Les Misérables in my ears.
I hope you guys liked this chapter, and I hope you're having a good day/ night/midday, whenever you're reading this.
Take your meds if you have them, eat something, drink some water, take care of yourselves my dudes.