1. Something in him

Edited: 31 May, 2020

Being a teenager in Seoul, South Korea is hard. You are constantly studying to a point where you even dream with your textbooks or your rather annoying teachers. Then there is the discrimination. If you don't look pretty enough for their liking, or you lack a certain sense of style, which is of course decided by those kids whose parents have more money than you could imagine, you don't even have to worry, they will surely make you realise their dislike towards you. Addition to it, if you are a foreigner in a Korean high school, they will try to force you to be the school's play toy. Although, it only happens if you let them.

Of course as a foreign citizen living and studying in Korea I have had my fair share of problems, but I've never been the kind of girl who runs to the corner to cry, feeling sorry for herself. I've always stood up for myself and never let their insults get to me. It is a hard task. When people treat you bad, it will certainly have an impact on you. However it does take inner power to get you to stand up against them, which I am lucky enough to be able to do.

While living in Seoul, I didn't just experience the negative treats of the city. I was fortunate enough to make some good, loyal friends, who stood by my side. It's only been six months since I have moved to this completely new country, but I've already experienced bullying, have been sent to the principal's office and got suspended for a week.

There is a certain amount of harassment a person can take and I happened to get fed up on that particular day. Everyone has a limit and you physically are unable to stop yourself from reaching it. It's like when you pour water into a glass, the glass will not be able to stop you, but you can only pour until the top or it will end up streaming down the side.

On that day I felt the same. I couldn't control myself anymore, my mind went blank, my whole body was shaking out of anger. My fists were so tight, my knuckles turned white from the force. I felt my nails painfully ripping into the skin of my palm while letting some of the droplets of my blood escape. I could even hear the drops landing on the floor, if I really wanted to, while my bully was still venting her frustration on me. I didn't care that she was attacking me, I didn't care when she made up stories about me. I was already immune to their constant attention. At some point I even joked about that they must have had a crush on me for always trying to get my attention.

But the last straw was when one of their filthy mouth mentioned my friends in a rather disgusting gossip of theirs. I lost control. Just like that. I didn't plan it, I didn't expect it. I was watching myself as if I was a bystander. I have never hit anyone before, but my fist went on its own until it painfully met her face. A strong, sharp feeling shot through my fist, rushing up to my wrist, sending a numb sensation to my arm. Oh but it was worth it, alright.

The girl was lying on the grey tiled floor, dramatically screaming in pain, tears running down her doll-like face, ruining her carefully created make up. She acted as if I had hit her numerous times. I did get carried away, I would have never disputed that, but there was certainly no blood anywhere and I didn't even consider my little swing a powerful one. But she just kept screaming bloody murder, until the principal appeared with a horrified expression across his old, wrinkled face. He dragged me by my upper arm, straight to his office and suspended me for assault without even trying to listen to my side of the story. If I wasn't fuming enough already, that certainly helped me to reach my limits, but I kept in control this time.

I have lived through worse and although it did leave a sour taste in my mouth, I tried to get past these memories.

After my suspension, when I finally returned to school, I just wanted to get back to the normal cycle. Everyone would want that. Just study, have fun with friends and ignore those who try to destroy your carefully protected cycle.